Photoscreening ‘could detect lazy eye in children’
Washington: A new study is examining the use of photoscreening to detect amblyopia, or ‘lazy eye’ in children aged 6 months to 6 years.
Amblyopia, known as "lazy eye", is a major cause of vision problems in children and a common cause of blindness in people aged 20 to 70 in developed countries.
Experts at University of Iowa used the Medical Technology, Inc (MTI) PhotoScreener, which records the pattern of light reflected through each of the child`s pupils as the child`s eyes are photographed.
Photoscreened images were then assessed by a trained reader and children with abnormal results were referred to ophthalmologists or optometrists for thorough eye exams.
About 4 percent of children screened needed follow-up for possible amblyopia, which corresponds to the expected rate of the disorder in the general population.
"This program has had a lasting, beneficial impact on the children of Iowa, and seems to be cost-effective as well," medical director William E. Scott, of the University of Iowa said.
Amblyopia is usually treated with special eyeglasses, patching of the stronger eye, medications, or a combination of approaches.
The study is published in October`s Ophthalmology journal.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indrani 'slow-poisoned' Sheena, wanted to portray Mikhail as 'mentally unstable'?
- 'Mann ki Baat': Will implement 13 new pointers to Land Bill from today itself, says PM Modi
- Will not allow any political party to join agitation: Hardik Patel
- People have no faith left in Modi government: Sonia Gandhi at Swabhiman rally
- Lashkar-e-Toiba plotting 26/11-style attack in India with the help of Pak Navy, ISI?
- Satire website publishes article on Osama bin Laden being alive and quotes Edward Snowden
- Indrani's former brother-in-law claims Sheena was Siddharth Das' daughter
- Sheena Bora murder case: 'Indrani Mukerjea's father thrashed her with belt'
- Sheena murder: Suitcase seized from Indrani, Peter's residence meant for disposing Mikhail's body?
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, sex sites planted as 'following'