Physical inactivity impairs glucose levels leading to diabetes
Washington: With the increased number of people being diagnosed with diabetes, researchers have focused on discovering why the prevalence of the disease is increasing.
John Thyfault, an assistant professor in MU’s departments of Nutrition and Exercise Physiology and Internal Medicine, had found that ceasing regular physical activity impairs glycemic control (control of blood sugar levels), suggesting that inactivity may play a key role in the development of type 2 diabetes.
“We now have evidence that physical activity is an important part of the daily maintenance of glucose levels,” said Thyfault.
“Even in the short term, reducing daily activity and ceasing regular exercise causes acute changes in the body associated with diabetes that can occur before weight gain and the development of obesity,” added Thyfault.
Thyfault studied the relationship between low levels of physical activity and elevated levels of postprandial glucose (PPG), or the spikes in blood sugar that occur after a meal.
PPG is a risk factor for the development of type 2 diabetes and has been associated with increased incidences of cardiovascular disease and death.
Thyfault found that when healthy individuals reduced their physical activity by about half for three days, their PPG responses to meals doubled.
“A single bout of moderate exercise can improve the way the body maintains glucose homeostasis (blood glucose regulation) and reduce PPG, but becoming inactive for a short period of time quickly disrupts glucose homeostasis,” said Thyfault.
“This study shows that physical activity directly impacts health issues that are preventable,” added Thyfault.
The study will be published in Medicine & Science in Sports and Exercise.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- Reliance Jio effect: Airtel offers free unlimited local and STD calls with 4G data at Rs 145
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video
- PM Narendra Modi ropes in Nandan Nilekani to boost process of digital payments post demonetisation