Physical inactivity impairs glucose levels leading to diabetes
Washington: With the increased number of people being diagnosed with diabetes, researchers have focused on discovering why the prevalence of the disease is increasing.
John Thyfault, an assistant professor in MU’s departments of Nutrition and Exercise Physiology and Internal Medicine, had found that ceasing regular physical activity impairs glycemic control (control of blood sugar levels), suggesting that inactivity may play a key role in the development of type 2 diabetes.
“We now have evidence that physical activity is an important part of the daily maintenance of glucose levels,” said Thyfault.
“Even in the short term, reducing daily activity and ceasing regular exercise causes acute changes in the body associated with diabetes that can occur before weight gain and the development of obesity,” added Thyfault.
Thyfault studied the relationship between low levels of physical activity and elevated levels of postprandial glucose (PPG), or the spikes in blood sugar that occur after a meal.
PPG is a risk factor for the development of type 2 diabetes and has been associated with increased incidences of cardiovascular disease and death.
Thyfault found that when healthy individuals reduced their physical activity by about half for three days, their PPG responses to meals doubled.
“A single bout of moderate exercise can improve the way the body maintains glucose homeostasis (blood glucose regulation) and reduce PPG, but becoming inactive for a short period of time quickly disrupts glucose homeostasis,” said Thyfault.
“This study shows that physical activity directly impacts health issues that are preventable,” added Thyfault.
The study will be published in Medicine & Science in Sports and Exercise.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Salman's controversial tweet on Yakub Memon a 'contempt of court'?
- Know the significance of Devshayani Ekadashi
- Lalu Prasad Yadav calls PM Modi ''Kans'', BJP ''Bharat Jalao Party''
- What's the motive behind politicising Yakub Memon's death penalty?
- Punjab: Terrorists in Army uniform attack police station in Gurdaspur
- Watch: Yuvraj Singh takes up Shoaib Malik's challenge, puts on his dancing shoes
- SC to resume hearing on Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's mercy plea on Tuesday
- Lalu Prasad Yadav arrested as RJD bandh cripples life in Bihar
- Politicos mourn death of former president APJ Abdul Kalam, hail him as 'Missile Man of India'
- Terrorists in Army uniform attack police station in Punjab's Gurdaspur; 3 killed