Piling on pounds in middle age `can make men blind later`
London: Men, please note – putting on weight in middle age can significantly raise your risk of getting blind later in life, says a new study.
An international team has found that an expanding waistline puts men in danger of developing age-related macular degeneration which leads to vision loss - even small increases in waist size can raise the risk of AMD by up to 75 per cent.
But women do not appear to be affected. This is due to the female hormone oestrogen, the `Daily Mail` reported.
For their study, researchers, led by at the University of Melbourne, monitored changes in the waistlines of more than 21,000 men and women, all aged between 40 and 69, over several years and tracked how many went on to develop AMD.
"There is evidence that chronic inflammation is involved in AMD and obesity is a pro-inflammatory state. Our study underlines the importance of abdominal obesity as a risk factor for AMD," the researchers said.
The results showed that even small changes in a man`s waist/hip ratio -- a measure of his waist compared to his hips - led to a sharp increase in risk. A healthy score is usually anything below a ratio of around 0.95. Anything above that raises the risk of diabetes and heart disease.
But the team found that for each increase of 0.1 in the waist/hip ratio, a man`s chances of developing AMD soared by 75 per cent.
Nine in 10 cases involve "dry AMD" which develops over several years. The rest involve "wet AMD" which can cause blindness in just three months. It is caused by the growth of new blood vessels over the macula, a small oval-shaped area at the back of eye that helps us pick out visual details clearly.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- See what can Maggi do to your health!
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Delhi: Two killed in road accident in New Ashok Nagar
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday
- 'Unhappy' Celina Jaitley asks Sunny Leone to move out?
- BJP's plan for one-year celebration: 200 big rallies, 5,000 public meetings
- Video of cops dancing with woman goes viral, inquiry ordered
- Heatwave leaves 153 dead in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh
- Jayalalithaa returns as Tamil Nadu CM: As it happened
- CBSE Results 2015: 10th board exam results to be declared on May 27