Pill not the reason for oestrogen in water
The popular misconception that oral contraceptives are the main reason behind the oestrogen content in drinking water supplies has been disproved in a new study.
Scientists have found that the pill accounts for less than 1 per cent of the estrogens found in drinking water.
The report suggests that most of the sex hormone — source of concern as an endocrine disruptor with possible adverse effects on people and wildlife — enters drinking water supplies from other sources.
Analysis by Amber Wise, Kacie O`Brien and Tracey Woodruff found that 17 alpha-ethinylestradiol (EE2) has a lower predicted concentration in U.S. drinking water than natural estrogens from soy and dairy products and animal waste used untreated as a farm fertilizer.
And all humans, (men, women and children, and especially pregnant women) excrete hormones in their urine, not just women taking the pill.
Some research cited in the report suggests that animal manure accounts for 90 per cent of estrogens in the environment.
Other research estimates that if just 1 per cent of the estrogens in livestock waste reached waterways, it would comprise 15 per cent of the estrogens in the world`s water supply.
The report appears in ACS` biweekly journal Environmental Science & Technology.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Are political parties playing vote politics in the name of cow-security?
- Are political parties playing vote politics in the name of cow-security? - Part II
- Are political parties playing vote politics in the name of cow-security? - Part III
- Are political parties playing vote politics in the name of cow-security? - Part IV
- Are political parties playing vote politics in the name of cow-security? - Part V
- India-US deal to procure four Poseidon-8I aircraft
- 2016 Olympic Games: President Vladimir Putin to meet Russia`s dope-tainted Rio team
- Pay panel:Centre seeks states comments on pay hike to IAS, IPS
- Netgear launches smart Wi-Fi router for gamers
- Bihar court issues summon to AIMIM chief Asaduddin Owaisi