Pistachios pip pretzel as weight-loss snack
Washington: Choosing to snack on pistachios rather than pretzels as part of a healthy diet not only supports weight loss goals but can support heart health too.
The study is especially significant as snack foods account for more than a quarter of the total caloric intake among Americans.
"This study is important because it`s the first of its kind to show that pistachios can be part of a successful weight management programme," said David Heber, director of the University of California Los Angeles Centre for Human Nutrition.
"Snackers often think pretzels are a better choice for weight management compared to a nut like pistachios just because they are lower in fat. This study debunks that myth," Heber was quoted as saying by the American College of Nutrition.
In this 12-week randomised study, 52 overweight subjects were placed on a 500-calorie deficit diet and were assigned to either a pistachio snack or pretzel snack group, according to a California statement.
The pistachio group included a daily snack of 240 calories (about 75 pistachios) and the pretzel group, a two ounce snack of similar caloric value totalling 220 calories.
The results showed that the pistachio group had better success with supporting their body mass index (BMI, a height to weight ratio) goals compared to the pretzel group.
Pistachios can help support heart health too, proving that they can be included in a healthy diet, even for those who are managing their weight.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Afzal Guru row: JNU Students' Union president Kanhaiya Kumar arrested
- DNA: Analysis on actions taken against students protesting at JNU
- Missing girl from Ghaziabad, Dipti Sarna returns; reunited with family
- DNA: Analysis on actions taken against students protesting at JNU - Part II
- Watch: How students at JNU showcased anti-India spirit! - Part II
- Afzal Guru row: JNU students union president Kanhaiya Kumar arrested by Delhi Police
- Fitoor movie review: Tabu overpowers, Katrina Kaif, Aditya Roy Kapur leave a lasting impact!
- Was abducted, blindfolded for four hours; Snapdeal employee Dipti Sarna narrates her ordeal
- VIDEO: Shikhar Dhawan reveals impact of Yuvraj Singh in India dressing room
- Kidnappers treated me well, gave me money to reach home: Snapdeal executive Dipti Sarna's 36-hour ordeal