Polio campaign begins in Peshawar amid high alert
Peshawar: Polio vaccination campaign began in Pakistan's Peshawar city and adjoining areas Sunday amid heavy security, a media report said.
The authorities suspended mobile phone services and banned pillion-riding citing security reasons. The ban would be effective from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. Sunday, Dawn News reported.
The polio drive aims to inoculate 800,000 children, aged below five years in Peshawar and adjoining areas of Khyber Pakhtunkhwa province.
Teachers in the province had refused to take part in a polio-vaccination campaign citing low wages and security concerns as the reasons and agreed to resume the services only after the successful negotiations with the government.
The World Health Organisation (WHO) Jan 17 had declared Peshawar as the world's "largest reservoir" of endemic polio and called for urgent action to boost vaccination.
According to the WHO, 80,000 children in Pakistan have not been immunised against polio.
About 22,000 of these children hail from Khyber Pakhtunkhwa.
Efforts to eradicate it have been seriously hampered by the deadly attacks of militant groups who see vaccination campaigns as a cover for espionage, and there are also long running rumours about polio drops causing infertility.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced on May 28
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark