Polio funds get a boost in India: Rotary International
New Delhi: With a zero-polio record in the last one year, India is working hard to eradicate the disease, and has also been recognized as the third leading donor of funds on polio, voluntary group Rotary International said here Friday.
"Funding for the polio will be crucial to ensure that the fight against the dreaded disease continues with the same intensification and commitment. In the past 2-3 years, India has risen from being a beneficiary to that of a donor and has become the third leading contributor to Rotary`s service funds," said Deepak Kapur, chairman of Rotary International`s India PolioPlus Committee.
The last new polio case in India was reported Jan 13, 2011, involving a two-year-old girl in West Bengal. No case has been reported since then. The country must record another two years without a case of Polio to get the Polio-free certification from the World Health Organisation (WHO) -- the global health body.
"The polio partnership -- Rotary, WHO, UNICEF and the Indian government -- have renewed their commitment and resources to achieve this target," Kapur added.
Rotary`s global polio eradication initiative was launched to eradicate polio across the globe and strengthen health infrastructure. India is considered as one of the endemic countries along with Pakistan, Afghanistan and Nigeria.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Barack Obama thanks Americans for making him a 'better man'
- Is there no respect for Congress in UP politics?
- Accused of Muslim-bias on visa applications, Sushma Swaraj hits back
- Cuttack ODI: Umpire Kumar Dharmasena messes up DRS review, twitter couldn't stop trolling
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened
- Yuvraj Singh's wife Hazel Keech suggests new middle name for hubby Yuvi following Cuttack heroics
- Virat Kohli vs Sachin Tendulkar: Who is a better cricketer? Read what Virender Sehwag has to say