`Poor sleep affects children`s studies, health`
New Delhi: Online chatting, playing computer games or watching television at night can leave children sleep deprived and adversely affect their studies and physical health, psychiatrists said at a conference here Wednesday.
"Parents should keep a check on their children`s TV viewing habits... presence of a television set in the child`s bedroom may be a contributor to sleep problems," said Sunil Mittal, psychiatrist and director of Cosmos Institute of Mental Health and Behavioural Sciences (CIMBS).
The CIMBS and Delhi Psychiatry Centre organised the conference ahead of the International Sleep Day March 15.
"Sleep depreciation could result in a reduced ability to learn and think fast," Mittal added.
According to doctors, the problem is worse in working Indian adults.
"Surveys have found that almost a third of Indian working professionals sacrifice sleep to fit in personal and work commitments," said Rosely Jacob, clinical psychologist at CIMBS, adding that insomnia could lead to increased risk of automobile accidents and alcohol abuse.
An average adult requires around eight hours of sleep daily but teenagers and children require even more, she said.
Ensuring that bedrooms are conducive to good sleep can be of great help.
"Ensure that your bedroom is dark, comfortable, cool and quiet," said Mitali Srivastava, clinical hypnotherapist.
In addition, avoid late afternoon or evening naps or worrying about future problems or challenges when lying in the bed, Srivastava added. "Stay away from large meals and excessive fluid, especially caffeine," the clinical hypnotherapist suggested.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- Mathura rally: PM Modi's ten power-packed dialogues
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- UBSE Results 2015 (ubse.uk.gov.in): Uttarakhand 12th Result 2015 to be announced today at 11 AM
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- CBSE Class X Board Results 2015 to declared tomorrow
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in