Popping pills for sleep may be bad for health
London: Popping pills to overcome insomnia may not be good for your health in the long run.
For instance, eight out of 10 cases of insomnia were caused by underlying health problems, either physical or mental, that should be addressed, according to the Royal Pharmaceutical Society.
Attempting to treat sleeplessness without tackling its root cause was potentially dangerous. Causes of insomnia can include asthma, heart disease, anxiety or depression, the society said.
A survey of 2,077 adults found 51 percent of insomniacs had bought over-the-counter sleeping remedies without seeking advice from a doctor or pharmacist beforehand. Three in 10 said they had taken them for more than a month without advice, and a further 14 per cent for over six months, the Telegraph reports.
Paul Johnson, a community pharmacist, said: "It`s worrying that so many people are over-using sleeping remedies. They can be effective for short-term treatment of mild insomnia but should not be taken for long periods without advice because they can hide a serious health problem which could get worse if it remains untreated."
He said there were a number of simple techniques people could use to get a better night`s sleep, including going to bed and getting up at the same time each day, avoiding caffeine and alcohol in the evenings, and eating heavily late.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How to develop good communication skills for a successful life?
- Curfew lifted from 4 districts of Kashmir valley
- Recently launched Pokemon Go gaining extreme popularity among users
- Rajnath Singh meets J&K CM Mehbooba Mufti to discuss current situation in valley
- AAP MLA Amantulla Khan arrested for misbehaving with a woman
- Donald Trump says EU formed 'to beat US at making money'
- Muslim woman told to remove hijab for job application in New Zealand
- Kriti Sanon wishes 'Heropanti' director Sabbir Khan a very happy birthday! Pic inside
- Suicide attack in Baghdad kills at least 10 people
- BJP made Dayashankar Singh use foul language against me; SP also involved in conspiracy, alleges Mayawati