Popular egg timer fertility test found `unreliable`
Sydney: A leading fertility expert has said that a popular fertility test designed to tell woman how long she has left to fall pregnant is giving out inaccurate and misleading results, which is creating a wave of panic among women in their 30s and 40s.
Dr Anne Clarke, medical director of Fertility First in Sydney, said that a recent British study, plus anecdotal evidence, has revealed that the simple blood test, known as the Egg Timer Test, is unreliable and is becoming discredited worldwide.
She said that she has big concerns about its accuracy, adding that she's seeing a lot of women turning up at her clinic in an incredibly distressed state and highly depressed as they were told that the test showed that they there was no probability of them having a baby.
Adelaide clinic Repromed pioneered the Egg Timer Test, which costs about 70 dollars, to measure the number of eggs a woman has and predict how many child-bearing years she still has.
The Manchester study, which was published last year, found significant variations in the results - up to 60 percent.
Head researcher Dr Oybek Rustamov said that the research, which looked at the results of 5000 women between 2008 and 2011, found that Egg Timer Tests provided erroneous results.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Exclusive: Chat with 'Jazbaa' stars Aishwarya Rai and Irrfan Khan!
- Delhi government to add environment tax in electricity bill
- Shaheed Express train's freight coach catches fire on Ludhiana railway station
- AAP govt suggests four-fold hike in MLAs salaries
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan chased by a tiger!
- India vs South Africa 2015: 3rd T20I - Preview
- Modi govt turns down IAF's request for more foreign fighter planes, pushes for Made-in-India Tejas
- Navjot Singh Sidhu diagnosed with DVT: Know about this life threatening disease!
- Unbelievable! Crops destroyed for Congress vice president Rahul Gandhi's rally in Karnataka
- Latest condition of Navjot Singh Sidhu: Sherry Paaji making steady recovery!