Possible culprit behind congenital heart defects discovered
Washington: Researchers have shown that mitochondria has the ability to orchestrate events that determine a cell's future, at least in the embryonic mouse heart.
Gerald W. Dorn II, MD, the Philip and Sima K. Needleman Professor of Medicine at Washington University said that this study is surprising because biologists always assumed that organ development was orchestrated from the nucleus of a cell, and that the mitochondria simply followed along and did what they were told.
He said that they've shown that mitochondria can direct what type of tissue a cell will become during embryonic development.
Luca Scorrano , MD, PhD, professor of biochemistry at the University of Padua-Dulbecco Telethon Institute in Italy said that using a tissue culture technique he calls "hearts in the tube," they were able to unravel a novel way used by the ancient invader to take control of cell fate.
The researchers were careful to note that the underdeveloped hearts were not simply the result of a lack of fuel from dysfunctional mitochondria. Scorrano's team showed that these fragmented mitochondria, small and separated because they could not fuse together, interrupt well-known signaling pathways that govern how the nucleus expresses genes.
Several of these signaling pathways already are implicated in congenital heart defects, such as those that result in holes in the wall separating the left and right ventricles, called ventricular septal defects.
The study has been published in Science Express.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- DNA analysis of rising water crisis in India!
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- DNA: Delhi shop owners express their plight through Zee initiative 'My News'
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- Check mahresult.nic.in for Maharashtra HSC Result 2015 to be announced at 1 pm on May 27
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt