Postmenopausal smoking ups sex hormones
London: Postmenopausal women who smoke have higher sex hormones levels than their non-smoking peers which are potential risk factors for breast and endometrial cancer, affecting the lining of uterus, as well as type 2 diabetes.
"Tobacco smoke, apart from its direct toxic and carcinogenic effects, may also influence chronic disease risk through hormonal mechanisms," said Judith Brand, the Journal of Clinical Endocrinology and Metabolism reports.
"The good news is that the effect of cigarette smoking appears reversible, as an almost immediate reduction in sex hormone levels was seen in women who quit using cigarettes," added Brand, University Medical Centre Utrecht in The Netherlands who led the study.
Researchers examined blood samples from 2,030 postmenopausal women aged 55-81 years, according to a statement of University Medical Centre.
Participants were categorised as `current,` `former` or `never` smokers based on their responses to questions regarding cigarette use.
Those who were `current` smokers had higher circulating levels of androgens and estrogens, while `former` smokers who had quit within 1-2 years had sex hormone levels the same as `never` smokers.
"Obviously, quitting smoking has major health benefits such as prevention of cancer, respiratory and heart diseases," Brand said.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- Basic ideals of Constitution are in danger: Sonia Gandhi
- PM Modi greets nation on occasion of first Constitution Day
- Manjula Vaghela's journey: From rag picker to head of a firm with Rs 1 cr turnover!
- Indian Army faces shortage of field firing ranges in J&K
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Eat smart to slow down ageing and increase longevity!
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- 10 interesting facts about Constitution which every Indian must know