Pot-bellied men run risk of going blind
London: Piling on the fat in middle age could significantly raise a man`s risk of blindness later in life.
An expanding waistline puts men in danger of developing age-related macular degeneration (AMD), a leading cause of vision loss, researchers say.
Even small increases in waist size seem to raise the risk of AMD by up to 75 percent. But women do not appear to be affected, thanks to the presence of female hormone oestrogen.
Abdominal fat releases oestrogen into the body and animal studies suggest the hormone can cause inflammation in blood vessels at the back of the eyes.
Women have higher levels of oestrogen all their lives and so seem less sensitive to its effects, the Daily Mail reports.
Researchers at the University of Melbourne monitored changes in the waistlines of more than 21,000 men and women, aged between 40 and 69, over several years and tracked how many went on to develop AMD.
"Our study underlines the importance of abdominal obesity as a risk factor for AMD," said the scientists, according to a Melbourne statement.
The results showed that even small changes in a man`s waist/hip ratio - a measure of his waist compared to his hips - led to a sharp increase in risk.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Samajwadi Party-Congress alliance just a compulsion for Akhilesh Yadav?
- UP polls: When fans played spoilsport for SP star campaigner Dimple Yadav
- Have political parties diverted from development agenda in UP elections?
- Pakistan cancels licenses of weapons issued to Hafiz Saeed and his aides
- DNA: How India became world's largest arms importer
- BMC election 2017 results LIVE: Shiv Sena leads in 92 seats, BJP ahead in 73; counting underway
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- How Kashmiris use children for 'meri jaan Pakistan' type 'freedom struggle' - WATCH
- Maharashtra Civic Results 2017 LIVE: Mumbai Congress chief Sanjay Nirupam offers resignation; Shiv Sena ahead in BMC polls
- Solapur Municipal Corporation Elections 2017 Results LIVE: Asaduddin Owaisi's AIMIM bags 5 seats; counting underway