Potential new drug compound for Alzheimer`s discovered
Washington: Scientists have discovered a new compound, which could be a potential therapy for Alzheimer`s disease.
Researchers at the University of California, San Diego, the Medical University of South Carolina and American Life Science Pharmaceuticals of San Diego have demonstrated that oral administration of a cysteine protease inhibitor, E64d, not only reduces the build-up of ß-amyloid (Aß) in the brains of animal models for Alzheimer`s disease, but also results in a substantial improvement in memory deficit.
"The finding is especially exciting because E64d has previously been shown safe for use in humans, so we believe the compound has strong potential as a new therapy for Alzheimer`s disease," said lead investigator Vivian Y. H. Hook from the UCSD School of Medicine.
Increased Aß levels in the brain are associated with the development of memory loss and amyloid plaque, the hallmark of Alzheimer`s disease.
Aß peptides are "cut" out from a larger protein called the amyloid precursor protein (APP) by an enzymatic "scissor" called ß-secretase, and aggregate to form plaques in the brain regions responsible for memory.
E64d reduces Aß by inhibiting the ß-secretase "scissors" from "cutting" the APP chain into smaller toxic Aß peptides.
But in this study, the researchers found that the compound actually increases the activity of a protease called BACE1 which, to date, has been regarded as the primary ß-secretase. Instead, E64d appears to lower brain Aß by inhibiting the ß-secretase activity of another protease, Cathepsin B.
"The study indicates Cathepsin B as a new target for therapeutic inhibition of Aß production and subsequent improved memory function," said Hook.
The finding has been published as an early online version and is scheduled for publication in the September 6 issue of the Journal of Alzheimer`s Disease.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Exclusive: Chat with 'Jazbaa' stars Aishwarya Rai and Irrfan Khan!
- Delhi government to add environment tax in electricity bill
- AAP govt suggests four-fold hike in MLAs salaries
- Shaheed Express train's freight coach catches fire on Ludhiana railway station
- DNA: Indian Army's 'Phantom Guns’ to defend border with Pakistan
- India vs South Africa 2015: 3rd T20I - Preview
- Modi govt turns down IAF's request for more foreign fighter planes, pushes for Made-in-India Tejas
- Indrani Mukerjea back in jail; claims did not take pills, was upset because of mother's death
- Unbelievable! Crops destroyed for Congress vice president Rahul Gandhi's rally in Karnataka
- Asaduddin Owaisi's brother Akbaruddin in trouble over poll speech, arrest warrant issued