Pregnant women urged to sing to baby bump
London: Singing to your baby bump is good for the unborn child, experts say.
In a new trend across UK, singing workshop is being carried out at the for mums-to-be at Chelsea and Westminster Hospital; one of a growing number of classes using singing to help women prepare for birth, the Daily Mail reported.
Advocates claim singing helps mothers relax by increasing levels of endorphins and the happy hormone serotonin.
It also helps them bond with their unborn child as it helps the baby recognise the mother``s voice, experts say.
The breathing techniques learnt in singing classes also alleviate pain during labour, they claim.
This particular course - called Wombsong - is the first of its kind to be offered free to National Health Service patients, but private classes are also offered across UK.
"Singing will help control and slow the breath. Using those techniques to breathe deeply and slowly in labour can really calm your muscles and body," Maya Waldman, the teacher responsible for Wombsong, said.
The class begins with exercises to warm up the voice and body before the class launches into a Polynesian rowing song — chosen for its simplicity and soothing melody.
"The songs are generally easy to learn and you don``t have to feel confident about singing in order to come," said Maya.
"A baby``s hearing develops very early in pregnancy. So you can use the same songs when the baby is born. If they``re upset or agitated they will be calmed by songs they recognise," Maya said.
The class - mainly consisting of professional women — agree Wombsong is a good way to relax and focus on their unborn babies.
"It has really helped me enjoy my pregnancy," said one first-time mom.
From a practical point of view, it could make life easier when your baby is born.
“A baby’s hearing develops very early in pregnancy,” Maya said.
“So you can use the same songs when the baby is born. If they’re upset or agitated they will be calmed by songs they recognize,” she added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Jamaat-e-Islami chief announces Rs 100 cr reward for PM Modi's arrest
- DNA: Captain Saurabh Kalia's torture at the hands of Pakistani Army
- India's second deadliest heatwave kills more than 2000 people
- DNA: Govt tests Maggi noodle samples from all states
- Zee Media exclusive interview with victim of Uber molestation
- Check CHSE orrisharesults.nic.in, chseodisha.nic.in for Class 12 (Plus Two) Result 2015
- Anti-minority remarks by Sangh Parivar leaders 'uncalled for': Narendra Modi
- Was asked to call Sunanda Pushkar’s death `natural`: AIIMS doctor
- CHSE Odisha +2 Results 2015 (chseodisha.nic.in): Odisha Board Class 12th Result 2015 declared on orissaresults.nic.in