President calls for eradicating leprosy
New Delhi: President Pranab Mukherjee Saturday called for integrated leprosy services in geographically focused areas to eradicate the disease while Vice President Hamid Ansari urged for generating awareness about its misconceptions.
They were speaking at a function at the Rashtrapati Bhawan where Mukherjee presented the International Gandhi Award for 2013 to Vijaykumar Vinayak Dongre and Zhang Guocheng from China for making outstanding contributions in the field of leprosy.
The president pointed to certain areas where the prevalence of the disease was much more, given their economic and social backwardness.
He said the need of the hour is to intensify efforts towards early detection of cases, provide equitable access to appropriate treatment and integrated services in geographically focused areas.
The award was instituted by the Gandhi Memorial Leprosy Foundation to commemorate Mahatma Gandhi's service and scientific approach towards leprosy.
Over the years, leprosy has remained a blot on humanity. More than the medical condition, the social stigma attached to the disease is a cause for concern, the president said.
Mukherjee said there is a need to empower those who have been socially discriminated, through advocacy and information dissemination.
He said the United Nations has now passed a resolution on discrimination against people affected by leprosy.
He added efforts are being made to repeal laws that prevent people affected by it from participating in society.
This challenge can be met through a multi-dimensional and integrated approach. He urged all stakeholders to come together and make concerted efforts for its total eradication.
Speaking on the occasion, Ansari urged for generating awareness about misconception of the disease. He also pointed to its journey from curse to cure while carrying an ocean of stigma.
Referring to the World Health Organisation recommendation, Ansari called for inclusion of leprosy patients in the programme meant for them. He said any discrimination against leprosy patients was violation of their fundamental rights.
Zhang said: "Health is a pre-requisite for human survival and development. It is the basic goal of the human beings. With all colleagues in the world, leprosy workers in China will continue working for common goal of eliminating the disease globally as early as possible, building better living conditions, and promoting progress of human civilisation."
"This award," he said, "belongs to leprosy workers in China, those in India and in the world, and to people who are in pursuit of truth, loving and peace, like Mahatma Gandhi did."
Dongre said health education is the most important aspect of eradication and to remove misconception about the disease.
It is because of lack of education that a patient hides it in the initial stage that results in deformities, which is the reason behind the stigma.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Five unmanned parachute-like objects spotted over Mumbai airport
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- Delhi's 2015 CBSE Class 12 topper M Gayatri talks to Zee Media
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- No respite from heat for next three days: IMD
- One year of Modi govt: PM addresses mega rally in Mathura
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Police registers case after parachute-like objects were spotted over Mumbai airport
- Growing medical negligence in Delhi's AIIMS
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 declared
- LIVE - Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Check WBBSE (wbresults.nic.in) Class 12th Results: West Bengal Board (wbscvet.org) Higher Secondary Class XII Vocational Results to be declared today at 4 PM
- Two dead, over 100 injured as Muri Express derails in UP; Prabhu announces Rs 2 lakhs ex-gratia for kin of dead
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- Public rally on 100 days of AAP govt: As it happened
- Arvind Kejriwal's Aam Aadmi Party changes its logo
- Unidentified flying objects spotted over Mumbai airport not motorised: Home Department
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- Militants kill five, target telecoms in Kashmir attacks
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah