Prevent gum disease to keep lungs healthy
Washington: A new research suggests that maintaining periodontal health may contribute to a healthy respiratory system.
The new study says that periodontal disease may increase the risk for respiratory infections, such as chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD) and pneumonia. These infections, which are caused when bacteria from the upper throat are inhaled into the lower respiratory tract, can be severely debilitating and are one of the leading causes of death.
The study included 200 participants between the ages of 20 and 60 with at least 20 natural teeth. Half of the participants were hospitalized patients with a respiratory disease such as pneumonia, COPD, or acute bronchitis, and the other half were healthy control subjects with no history of respiratory disease. Each participant underwent a comprehensive oral evaluation to measure periodontal health status.
The study found that patients with respiratory diseases had worse periodontal health than the control group, suggesting a relationship between respiratory disease and periodontal disease. Researchers suspect that the presence of oral pathogens associated with periodontal disease may increase a patient``s risk of developing or exacerbating respiratory disease.
"Pulmonary diseases can be severely disabling and debilitating," said Donald S. Clem, DDS, President of the American Academy of Periodontology.
Periodontal disease is a chronic inflammatory disease that affects the gum tissue and other structures supporting the teeth.
The research has been published in the Journal of Periodontology.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will continue to be your 'pradhan sevak', says PM Modi in UP rally
- Will continue to be your 'pradhan sevak', says PM Modi in UP rally - Part II
- Will continue to be your 'pradhan sevak', says PM Modi in UP rally - Part III
- Will continue to be your 'pradhan sevak', says PM Modi in UP rally - Part IV
- Will continue to be your 'pradhan sevak', says PM Modi in UP rally - Part V
- Humiliation bothers obese air travellers the most
- WATCH: Sourav Ganguly's 183 against Sri Lanka in 1999 World Cup
- 'I'm the boss of my own s**t' says Ankita Lokhande post split with Sushant Singh Rajput!-- See pic
- Watch: Jimmy Sheirgill's political drama 'Shorgul's trailer packs a punch!
- Actors face many demons everyday: Radhika Apte