Prevent misuse of technique in female foeticide: President
New Delhi: President Pratibha Devisingh Patil Friday stressed the need to prevent misuse of diagnostic technology in female foeticide calling it detrimental to the society.
"An aspect that needs attention is the prevention of diagnostic tests conducted for pre-natal detection of abnormalities of a baby, from being misused for the purpose of pre-natal gender determination, which can lead to female foeticide," the president said after inaugurating the National Conference of the Indian Radiologist and Imaging Association.
"We have laws and legal provisions that specially prohibit medical practitioners from disclosing the gender of the foetus. It is very important that all medical facilities, Doctors and Radiologists, adhere to this, so as to prevent incidents of female foeticide, a phenomenon that is a disgrace to society and is a social evil," she added.
Minister of State for Health Dinesh Trivedi meanwhile, stressed on caution in utilization of medical imaging examinations and not expose patients to unnecessary radiation.
"Imaging professionals must work to reduce the radiation dose as much as reasonably achievable, to seek accreditation of imaging facilities with careful attention to radiation dose monitoring and control, and to participate in dose registries that will allow imaging practitioners to benchmark their dose levels with peer institutions," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan
- Jayalalithaa's funeral procession: Sea of mourners gather to pay last respects
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan - Part II
- DNA: Know why Jayalalithaa was buried and not cremated
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- RIP Amma: Jayalalithaa dies after 75 days in hospital; Tamil Nadu mourns
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- RBI to issue new Rs 100 banknotes, old notes to continue as legal tender
- Airtel’s free 4G internet offer may be a ploy to steal your data
- Kapil Sharma renews contract, his latest fee will make your jaw drop!