Pros and cons of glucose treatment
London: Scientists have cautioned that the benefits of intensive glucose therapy for diabetics need to be balanced against the increase in total and cardiovascular disease-related death, increased weight gain, and high risk for severe low blood sugar.
The study was aimed to determine whether intensive blood glucose (sugar) control worked better than standard blood sugar control among diabetics.
Dr Faramarz Ismail-Beigi, a diabetes specialist with University Hospitals Case Medical Center, Case Western Reserve University, and colleagues conducted a study that examined patients who underwent intensive glucose-lowering treatment for 3.5 years.
The results did not see a reduced incidence of cardiovascular disease, or risk of progression in kidney failure, major vision loss, or advanced peripheral neuropathy, reports the Lancet.
There were some micro vascular improvements - reduced incidences of albuminuria in the intensive group, compared to those receiving standard treatment, along with fewer cataract extractions during the study period.
Visual acuity (sharpness of vision) and nerve function also improved for these patients.
Ismail-Beigi cautions that deciding the aggressiveness of therapy depends on what stage of the disease patients are in – for patients who are newly diagnosed with diabetes, intensive, aggressive therapy could delay the onset of some of the complications of diabetes, such as kidney disease and eye problems.
However, for those having diabetes for 10 years or more, intense therapy is associated with higher risk of cardiovascular death.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- BSP shrugs off Rita Bahuguna 's jump; says BJP will still face defeat in UP polls
- Navjot Singh Sidhu out on zero to Waqar Younis in 1990 – The match Kapil Sharma keeps talking about
- MS Dhoni reacts in astonishment as Axar Patel takes a stunning one-handed catch - VIDEO
- Pierce Brosnan 'deeply shocked and saddened' because of Pan Masala brand ad
- Sushant Singh Rajput’s former girlfriend Ankita Lokhande’s Karva Chauth photos will surprise you