Pros and cons of glucose treatment
London: Scientists have cautioned that the benefits of intensive glucose therapy for diabetics need to be balanced against the increase in total and cardiovascular disease-related death, increased weight gain, and high risk for severe low blood sugar.
The study was aimed to determine whether intensive blood glucose (sugar) control worked better than standard blood sugar control among diabetics.
Dr Faramarz Ismail-Beigi, a diabetes specialist with University Hospitals Case Medical Center, Case Western Reserve University, and colleagues conducted a study that examined patients who underwent intensive glucose-lowering treatment for 3.5 years.
The results did not see a reduced incidence of cardiovascular disease, or risk of progression in kidney failure, major vision loss, or advanced peripheral neuropathy, reports the Lancet.
There were some micro vascular improvements - reduced incidences of albuminuria in the intensive group, compared to those receiving standard treatment, along with fewer cataract extractions during the study period.
Visual acuity (sharpness of vision) and nerve function also improved for these patients.
Ismail-Beigi cautions that deciding the aggressiveness of therapy depends on what stage of the disease patients are in – for patients who are newly diagnosed with diabetes, intensive, aggressive therapy could delay the onset of some of the complications of diabetes, such as kidney disease and eye problems.
However, for those having diabetes for 10 years or more, intense therapy is associated with higher risk of cardiovascular death.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi participates in SCO annual meet in Tashkent
- Pink auto introduced in Ghaziabad specifically for women
- Does govt want to hike rail ticket in the name of subsidy?
- Does govt want to hike rail ticket in the name of subsidy? Part II
- Does govt want to hike rail ticket in the name of subsidy? Part III
- Govt mulls converting unused airports into SEZs
- India's NSG membership to be discussed at special session in Seoul tonight
- Check manabadi.com for BIE Telangana/TS Board Intermediate 1st Year / 2nd Year Examination Results 2016, Telangana BIE Class 12 Supplementary Results 2016
- 34 PhD holders and 12,000 engineers apply for 4th grade job in MP
- Airlines are not 'demons': Civil Aviation Minister