Protein behind aggressive breast-cancer found
Melbourne: Australian researchers claim to have found a key factor responsible for making breast cancers more aggressive and resistant to treatment.
The protein, known as ELF5, makes breast cancer tumours more aggressive and resistant to treatment said Chris Ormandy, researcher of Sydney`s Garvan Institute.
According to ABC report, Chris Ormandy has been studying a protein for a decade which plays a critical role in the development of breast cancer.
Study has shown that the same molecular decision occurs in breast cancer and that ELF5 has the ability to change an existing tumour to an oestrogen-insensitive type.
"This work tells us that cancers which become refractory to anti-oestrogen treatment often do so by elevating their levels of ELF5 and becoming functionally oestrogen receptor negative," Ormandy said.
Unfortunately, a large number of those women, approximately about a half of them, will at some point experience insensitivity to the anti-oestrogen treatment that they`ve been put on and their tumour will progress," he said.
"What we`ve found is that in tissue culture models of breast cancers that have been made to become insensitive to anti-oestrogen treatment, that the levels of [ELF5] rise dramatically in those cells.
"They`ve developed a way of stepping around the anti-oestrogen treatment by increasing their levels of ELF5.
"Ormandy said it may be many years before the finding leads to new drugs to treat breast cancer, but the discovery opens a whole new avenue of therapeutic options.
"We can now set about trying to develop therapies that will target ELF5 in a way that will either prevent the acquisition of insensitivity to anti-oestrogens or which will enable, or may enable us to treat tumours once they have become insensitive to anti-oestrogens by targeting ELF5," he said.
The work is being published in the online journal PLOS Biology.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi's 2015 CBSE Class 12 topper M Gayatri talks to Zee Media
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- No respite from heat for next three days: IMD
- One year of Modi govt: PM addresses mega rally in Mathura
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Growing medical negligence in Delhi's AIIMS
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- One year of Modi govt: PM Modi addresses mega rally in Mathura Part-II
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- UBSE Results 2015 (ubse.uk.gov.in): Uttarakhand 12th Result 2015 to be announced today at 11 AM
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- CBSE Class X Board Results 2015 to declared tomorrow
- Salman Khan's `Bajrangi Bhaijaan` teaser to be out in two days?
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- What couldn't be done in last 10 years, NDA govt did in one year: Smriti Irani in Amethi