Protein that helps stem cells become specialised cells found
Washington: Scientists claimed to have discovered a protein that preserves the ability of stem cells to become specialised cells in the body.
Researchers from the University of Michigan Medical School found that a protein `Mof` plays a key role in the "epigenetics" of stem cells meaning it helps stem cells read and use their DNA.
Yali Dou and her team zeroed in on the factors that add temporary tags to DNA when it`s coiled around tiny spools called histones.
In order to read their DNA, cells have to unwind it a bit from those spools, allowing the gene-reading mechanisms to get access to the genetic code and transcribe it.
The temporary tags added by Mof act as tiny beacons, guiding the "reader" mechanism to the right place.
"Simply put, Mof regulates the core transcription mechanism, without it you can`t be a stem cell," Dou said.
"There are many such proteins, called histone acetyltransferases, in cells but only MOF is important in undifferentiated cells," Dou said in a statement.
Mof appears to control the process that actually allows cells to determine which genes it wants to read, a crucial function for stem-ness, the study found.
"Without Mof, embryonic stem cells lost their self-renewal capability and started to differentiate," she explained.
"So far, Mof is the only histone acetyltransferase found to support the stemness of embryonic stem cells," she added.
The study was publsihed in the journal Cell.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan
- Jayalalithaa's funeral procession: Sea of mourners gather to pay last respects
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan - Part II
- DNA: Know why Jayalalithaa was buried and not cremated
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- RBI to issue new Rs 100 banknotes, old notes to continue as legal tender
- Airtel’s free 4G internet offer may be a ploy to steal your data
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead
- Gali Janardhana Reddy converted Rs 100 crore black money by paying 20% commission, claims driver's suicide note