Puberty genes in women discovered
In a breakthrough research, scientists have discovered 30 new genes that control the age of sexual maturation in women.
Many of these genes are also known to act on body weight regulation or biological pathways related to fat metabolism.
Puberty is triggered after a child reaches a certain age - and the heavier the child, the earlier puberty occurs, possibly affecting risk of later disease.
Researchers at King`s College London`s Department of Twin Research also found genes involved in hormone regulation, cell development and other mechanisms linked to age at menarche (the onset of menstrual periods in women).
"It is fascinating how common genetic variants influence both early puberty and weight gain. The findings give us clues on how intricately linked are different biological processes," Nature quoted Massimo Mangino as saying.
Professor Tim Spector, Director of Twins UK cohort said, "This study shows the power of large genetic collaborations allowing us great insights into how puberty is triggered by precise amounts of body fat. Twin pairs are very similar for both puberty and body fat."
The study appears in the Journal Nature Genetics.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 6 leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim till 26/11: Report
- Rameswaram waits to give final salute to Dr Abdul Kalam
- SC order on Yakub Memon huge disappointment, setback: Owaisi
- Last rites of Gurdaspur attack martyr Baljit Singh in Kapurthala
- DNA analysis of Yakub Memon's final moments in Nagpur Jail
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral to be held in Rameswaram; PM Modi to attend
- Yakub Memon hanged in Nagpur jail: As it happened
- Has President Pranab Mukherjee rejected Yakub Memon's mercy plea?
- SC refuses stay on Yakub Memon's hanging: As it happened
- 2 NDA, 4 UPA leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim before 26/11: Report