Punjab bans gutka, pan masala
Chandigarh: Punjab Monday ordered a complete ban on the sale, storage, manufacture and distribution of tobacco-based products, gutka (tobacco-laced areca nut pieces) and pan masala in the state, an official said.
Chief Minister Parkash Singh Badal had approved the proposal of the state health and family welfare department for banning such products across the state, he said.
"This has been done in the larger interest of public health. The chewing of gutka, pan masala and other tobacco products was a potent health hazard and responsible for deadly disease of cancer especially of mouth and throat," he added.
He said that other food products containing tobacco or nicotine as ingredients, by whatsoever name, had also been banned.
These products were earlier banned only in the districts of Amritsar, Ropar, Mohali and Mansa as these have famous religious shrines.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- More than 9 lakh people participated in the oath-taking ceremony of Donald Trump
- Train accident in Andhra Pradesh leaves many people dead
- UP Assembly Elections: Akhilesh Yadav releases party's manifesto
- 7th Pay Commission: Central govt employees expect Committee on Allowances report in February
- Cuttack ODI: Umpire Kumar Dharmasena messes up DRS review, twitter couldn't stop trolling
- Yuvraj Singh's wife Hazel Keech suggests new middle name for hubby Yuvi following Cuttack heroics
- India vs England, 3rd ODI: MS Dhoni felicitated at Eden Gardens — VIDEOS INSIDE
- Bigots at it again! Mohammed Shami called un-Islamic for posting picture with dog