Quickest way to lose weight
London: It’s the latest and probably the quickest way to lose weight – a plastic sleeve inserted in your tummy that makes you feel full.
The 2ft-long device, which can be inserted without an operation, has been shown to help the obese lose a fifth of their body weight, reports The Daily Mail.
It does so by causing large amounts of undigested food to reach the small intestine, which results in an increase of a hormone called PYY, which suppresses the appetite.
Doctors said that the device known as an Endobarrier costs 2000 dollars and could eliminate the need for daily insulin injections. It could soon be used in hospitals to replace far costlier gastric bands and gastric bypass operations.
It is held in place by a tiny spring and acts as a barrier to stop fats, sugar and salts being absorbed by the intestine, restricting the amount of calories being absorbed.
Alberic Feines, a consultant bariatric surgeon at St Anthony’s Hospital in Surrey, said, “Many patients may not want gastric bypass or band surgery because they don’t want the operation. This procedure would be far preferable.”
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of public pulse through survey by Zee News on Bihar elections
- DNA: End of ISIS? Vladimir Putin to send 1,50,000 soldiers to Syria
- Russia surprises America with accord on battling ISIS
- Panel discussion on Muslim vote bank in Bihar elections
- Bihar polls: Lalu's younger son claims to be older than elder brother
- India vs South Africa: How cricket fraternity reacted to crowd's disgraceful behaviour at Cuttack
- Salman Khan, Aamir Khan's friendship turns sour? Here's the truth
- BJP-led NDA predicted to win 147 seats in Bihar Assembly Elections: Survey
- Can Lalu Prasad Yadav's elder son Tej be less in age than younger son Tejaswi?
- Dadri lynching: Any threat to secular fabric of country would not be tolerated, says Rajnath Singh