Quickest way to lose weight
London: It’s the latest and probably the quickest way to lose weight – a plastic sleeve inserted in your tummy that makes you feel full.
The 2ft-long device, which can be inserted without an operation, has been shown to help the obese lose a fifth of their body weight, reports The Daily Mail.
It does so by causing large amounts of undigested food to reach the small intestine, which results in an increase of a hormone called PYY, which suppresses the appetite.
Doctors said that the device known as an Endobarrier costs 2000 dollars and could eliminate the need for daily insulin injections. It could soon be used in hospitals to replace far costlier gastric bands and gastric bypass operations.
It is held in place by a tiny spring and acts as a barrier to stop fats, sugar and salts being absorbed by the intestine, restricting the amount of calories being absorbed.
Alberic Feines, a consultant bariatric surgeon at St Anthony’s Hospital in Surrey, said, “Many patients may not want gastric bypass or band surgery because they don’t want the operation. This procedure would be far preferable.”
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of Indus water treaty between India and Pakistan
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- India- America joint military exercise begins in Ranikhet
- India to activate laser walls on LOC to stop infiltration
- Exclusive: This is what Kashmir's stone pelters have to say!
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- Did Arvind Kejriwal tweet in favour of Pakistan over Uri attacks? Here is what Twitter says
- Five takeaways from Sushma Swaraj's speech at UN General Assembly
- Reliance Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB data at 1 GB rate
- Rameez Raja picks all-time XI - Three Indians, but just one Pakistani make it to the list