Ranibizumab ‘has potential to prevent blindness`
Washington : The drug, Ranibizumab, has the potential to prevent blindness and visual impairment from age-related macular degeneration in non-Hispanic Caucasian patients, according to a computer-modeling study carried out by scientists at the Wilmer Eye Institute.
Neil M. Bressler, M.D., of Wilmer Eye Institute, The Johns Hopkins University, Baltimore, and colleagues designed a modeling study using outcomes from three previous phase 3 ranibizumab trials.
After gathering and analyzing data from the Beaver Dam Eye Study, as well as the US Census Bureau (2008), they predicted that 151,340 non-Hispanic Caucasian Americans would develop neovascular AMD in 2008.
The computer model predicted that if none of the 104,582 patients received monthly ranibizumab, 16 percent (16,268) of them would have become legally blind within 24 months.
Monthly ranibizumab was estimated to reduce legal blindness in 24 months to 4,484 (by 72 percent).
Based on results of the model designed for this study, the authors conclude that ranibizumab would have a significant effect on blindness rates among patients with AMD.
The study has been published in the Archives of Ophthalmology, one of the JAMA/Archives journals.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Call up this number and get Reliance Jio's SIM for sure
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- If you have guts, send your suicide bombers to Pakistan: Samajwadi Party to MNS' Raj Thackeray
- Anna Hazare flaunts his swag on 'The Kapil Sharma Show', no kidding! - Pic inside