Rare cardiovascular surgery saves life of patient
Kolkata: Doctors at the Rabindranath Tagore International Institute of Cardiac Sciences have successfully performed a rare cardiovascular surgery of over eleven hours to save a patient suffering from an uncommon disorder.
Kamala Padia was suffering from 'Type-A Aortic dissection' along with a rare disorder of muscular-skeletal system known as 'Limb Girdle Muscular Dystrophy'.
Type-A Aortic dissection is one of the most fatal medical conditions where the layers of the aorta separate.
This medical condition is relatively rare, occurring in 2 to3 persons per 100,000 people every year globally.
"Aortic dissection is always fatal if not operated immediately and the challenge lies in its early detection and initiation of surgical treatment," Dr Atanu Saha who led a team of doctors in the surgery said.
The surgery involves the bentall procedure in which the damaged aorta is replaced and coronary arteries are re-implanted into the graft. The surgery entails replacement of aortic valve, aortic root and ascending aorta.
The patient who had lost all hope of surviving said, "I was suffering from this condition for quite some time and was slowly losing my ability to walk. When I was diagnosed with this condition, I felt my world had come to an end."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Is it time for India to respond militarily to Pak terror instead of peace talks?
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’