Raspberry extract can beat colon cancer
London: Raspberry extract has been found to kill stomach and colon cancer cells.
Researchers from Clemson University in the US said that 90 percent of these cells were destroyed when exposed to an extract of red Meeker raspberries, a popular variety in the US.
Anti-oxidants in the fruit were also shown to kill breast cancer cells, the Daily Mail reports.
Researchers say that while the anti-oxidants in the red fruit explain some of the effects, other as yet unidentified compounds seem to be at work as well, according to a Clemson statement.
Unfortunately, experts believe the anti-cancer effect is seen only when the extract is applied directly to the diseased cells, and not when the fruit is eaten.
The research team now hope to start further studies to pinpoint the other cancer-fighting compounds in the fruit.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- ‘Kaabil’ Hrithik Roshan’s first look out – Here it is
- Champions League: Real Madrid edge past Manchester City to set up all-Madrid final
- AgustaWestland chopper deal: ED to quiz former IAF chief SP Tyagi today
- Sushant Singh Rajput reveals why his ‘Pavitra Rishta’ with Ankita Lokhande ended
- IPL 2016: Shah Rukh Khan thinks his son AbRam could be a mystery fielder – Find out why