Real life sleeping beauty sleeps for 64 days!
Washington: A teenager in the US suffering from a rare sleep disorder called `Sleeping Beauty Syndrome` slept for 64 days straight in her longest episode of illness yet.
Nicole Delien, 17, from Pennsylvania said she`s missed out on Thanksgiving, Christmas, birthdays and even the first family trip to Disney World.
Her mom, Vicki, said Nicole will sleep 18 or 19 hours a day, and when she does wake up to eat, she said Nicole is in a sleepwalking state which she doesn`t remember.
Vicki Delien said it was very frustrating just getting a diagnosis, CBS Radio reported.
They went to various hospitals until a doctor at Allegheny General Hospital finally realised that she was suffering from the rare sleeping disorder Kleine-Levin.
"Affected individuals may go for a period of weeks, months or even years without experiencing any symptoms, and then they reappear with little warning," the Kleine Levin Syndrome Foundation website stated.
In addition to excessive sleeping, symptoms include disorientation, hallucination, child-like behaviour, binge-eating and periods of hyper-sexuality when awake, according to an Oxford Journals report.
That report said the disorder predominately affects young males.
The cause of Kleine-Levin Syndrome is unknown, both medical sources indicate.
Medication helps spread the sleeping episodes further apart for Nicole. The last one was in March, but Nicole said she`s scared of when it will happen again.
The family recently went on a national talk show because they want other families to know about the rare disorder.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi addressing rally in Imphal
- Will Shiv Sena join hands with Congress to stop BJP from entering BMC?
- Report: Are mobile smartphones more unhygienic than toilet seats?
- Delhi: Three-year-old twins die after falling into washing machine in Rohini
- BSF catches cow slaughter gang near India-Bangladesh border in Malda
- Ind vs Aus: Mohammed Azharuddin says Jayant Yadav and Ishant Sharma should be replaced in next Test
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's epic celebration after destroying Lahore Qalandars in Dubai
- Indian doctor rescued from ISIS recounts horror, says 'they forced me to watch videos, shot me thrice'
- Mitchell Johnson takes a dig at Anil Kumble over calling Steve O'Keefe 'steady'
- India vs Australia, 1st Test, Day 3: As it happened...