Reason behind hunger pangs revealed
Washington: Researchers have made a new breakthrough that could help explain why we feel hungry.
In this new paper, first authors Michael Krashes, PhD, and Bhavik Shah, PhD, postdoctoral fellows in the lab of Bradford Lowell , MD, PhD, Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center (BIDMC) neuroendocrinologist, employed rabies circuit mapping, a technology in which a modified version of the rabies virus is engineered to "infect" just one type of neuron - in this case, the AgRP neurons that drive hunger.
The virus moves upstream one synapse and identifies all neurons that are providing input to AgRP starter neurons. Then, using a host of different neuron-specific cre-recombinase expressing mice (a group of genetically engineered animals originally developed in the Lowell lab) the investigators were able to map inputs to just these nerve cells, and then manipulate these upstream neurons so that they could be targeted
With this new information, the investigators now had a model to pursue.
Their results revealed that subsets of neurons expressing thyrotropin-releasing hormone (TRH) and pituitary adenylate cylcase-activating polypeptide (PACAP) were in on the neuronal chatter.
Finally, through a chemogenetic technique known as DREADDs - Designer Receptor Exclusively Activated by Designer Drug - the authors used chemicals to specifically and selectively stimulate or inhibit these upstream neurons in the animal models.
The fed mice, which had already consumed their daily meal and otherwise had no interest in food, proceeded to search out and voraciously eat after DREADD stimulation. Conversely, the fasting mice - which should have been hungry after a period of no food - ate very little when these upstream neurons were turned off.
The study has been published online in the journal Nature.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- CBI confirms Delhi health minister Satyendra Jain's indulgence in Hawala business
- Watch: CM Yogi Adityanath's first speech in UP Assembly house
- Should army take strict action against stone pelters of J&K?
- Etawah: UP cops caught drunk while on duty
- DNA: Reason behind electricity crisis in India despite being power surplus nation
- Left to die on road, pregnant Lucknow woman writes to PM Narendra Modi to end 'triple talaq', says 'I voted for BJP'
- The Kapil Sharma Show: No Sunday episode this weekend? Here’s why
- India vs Australia: Virat Kohli takes reconciliatory path, says his friendship comment was 'blown out of proportion'
- Sunil Grover joining AIB? Here’s the truth
- Reliance Jio closes in on 50 million paid users