Researchers identify gene linked to schizophrenia
Sydney: Researchers have identified a new gene that is linked to schizophrenia and bipolar disorder.
The gene called ABCA13 is active in the hippocampus (part of the brain where information is transferred into memory) and the cortex (brain`s outermost layers), but had not been associated with mental illness.
Schizophrenia is a psychotic disorder marked by severely impaired thinking, emotions and behaviour, while bipolar disorder is a mood disorder that causes radical emotional changes.
Allan McRae from the Queensland Institute of Medical Research (QIMR) in Australia says the discovery of the gene was a lucky break.
"We did a genetic analysis on a patient with chronic schizophrenia and discovered he had a break in his DNA, right in the middle of the ABCA13 gene. The break meant that the gene wouldn`t work properly, so we hypothesised that this might be the reason for the illness," said McRae.
"We tested this theory in another 3,000 people, by examining this gene in schizophrenia, bipolar and depression patients and compared it to people without these conditions."
They found that ABCA13 gene was linked to people with schizophrenia and bipolar disorder, says a QIMR release.
"We found that the gene was involved in four percent of individuals with bipolar and two percent of people with schizophrenia," said McRae. "This is quite significant, since we think that these disorders are caused by hundreds or even thousands of genes."
This study was published in the American Journal of Human Genetics.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is population control next on central govt's agenda after demonetization?
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan
- Jayalalithaa's funeral procession: Sea of mourners gather to pay last respects
- Watch: Tracing the journey of late Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa from films to politics
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition extremely grave
- RIP Amma: Jayalalithaa dies after 75 days in hospital; Tamil Nadu mourns
- RBI to issue new Rs 100 banknotes, old notes to continue as legal tender
- Airtel’s free 4G internet offer may be a ploy to steal your data
- J Jayalalithaa passes away: Know what all she left behind in assets
- RIP Amma: When Jayalalithaa sang one of her favourite songs, that too in Hindi - WATCH