Researchers identify gene linked to schizophrenia
Sydney: Researchers have identified a new gene that is linked to schizophrenia and bipolar disorder.
The gene called ABCA13 is active in the hippocampus (part of the brain where information is transferred into memory) and the cortex (brain`s outermost layers), but had not been associated with mental illness.
Schizophrenia is a psychotic disorder marked by severely impaired thinking, emotions and behaviour, while bipolar disorder is a mood disorder that causes radical emotional changes.
Allan McRae from the Queensland Institute of Medical Research (QIMR) in Australia says the discovery of the gene was a lucky break.
"We did a genetic analysis on a patient with chronic schizophrenia and discovered he had a break in his DNA, right in the middle of the ABCA13 gene. The break meant that the gene wouldn`t work properly, so we hypothesised that this might be the reason for the illness," said McRae.
"We tested this theory in another 3,000 people, by examining this gene in schizophrenia, bipolar and depression patients and compared it to people without these conditions."
They found that ABCA13 gene was linked to people with schizophrenia and bipolar disorder, says a QIMR release.
"We found that the gene was involved in four percent of individuals with bipolar and two percent of people with schizophrenia," said McRae. "This is quite significant, since we think that these disorders are caused by hundreds or even thousands of genes."
This study was published in the American Journal of Human Genetics.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Delhi: Two killed in road accident in New Ashok Nagar
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- IPL 2015 Final: Mumbai Indians vs Chennai Super Kings - Preview
- 'Unhappy' Celina Jaitley asks Sunny Leone to move out?
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday
- CBSE Results 2015: 10th board exam results to be declared on May 27
- BJP's plan for one-year celebration: 200 big rallies, 5,000 public meetings
- IPL 8 Final: We need to be at our best against Mumbai, says Michael Hussey
- Heatwave leaves 153 dead in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh
- Heatwave kills 223 in AP, Telangana, Chandrababu Naidu announces compensation; Delhi records hottest day
- 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns' starts on a good note at the Box Office!
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...