Researchers model erratic heartbeat in real time
Toronto: Using powerful X-rays, researchers have modelled arrhythmia in real time.
Arrhythmia, characterised by the heart beating too fast, too slow or inconsistently, may precipitate a decrease of blood flow to the brain and body, resulting in heart palpitation, dizziness, fainting, or even death. It may be too tiny for a microscope to observe.
The 3D animated model reveals for the first time how gene mutations affect the crucial pathway in heart muscle cells that controls its rhythm.
"Our heart runs on calcium," says molecular biologist Filip Van Petegem of Canada`s University of British Columbia. "Every heartbeat is preceded by calcium ions rushing into heart muscle cells".
"Then, a special protein opens the pathway for calcium to be released from compartments within these cells, and in turn initiates the contraction," adds Petegem, according to a British Columbia statement.
Mutations to the gene that forms this protein have been linked to arrhythmia and sudden cardiac deaths in otherwise healthy people.
"Reconstructing the pathway and its dynamic motion enabled us to see the process in action," says Petegem. "We found that the mutations destabilize the pathway`s structure, causing calcium to be released prematurely.
"Finding a way to stabilize the pathway could prevent these deadly conditions and save lives," adds Petegem.
These findings were presented at the 2013 Annual Meeting of the American Association for the Advancement of Science (AAAS) in Boston.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Heart-wrenching reality of Kashmiri pandits
- DNA: Bengaluru's Mount Carmel college students show country's ideology to Rahul Gandhi
- Proud to be an Indian, no plans to leave the country, says Aamir Khan
- Rahul Gandhi's embarrassment in front of Bengaluru college students
- DNA: Aamir Khan clarifies his love towards nation but sticks to previous statement
- Yuvraj Singh completes 8000 runs in first class cricket
- Eat smart to slow down ageing and increase longevity!
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Delhi gang-rape: Show juvenile rapist's face to the world, demand Nirbhaya's parents