Roche to file T-DM1 breast cancer drug on good data
Zurich: Roche said patients with an aggressive type of breast cancer lived longer after taking its experimental "armed antibody" drug without the disease worsening than those on a mix of GlaxoSmithKline drug Tykerb and Roche`s Xeloda.
The positive results from the first Phase III trial of the medicine - dubbed T-DM1 - clears the way for it to be submitted to European and U.S. authorities for approval this year, boosting prospects for a key asset in the Swiss firm`s pipeline.
WestLB analyst Oliver Kaemmerer, who sees peak sales potential for T-DM1 of around 1 billion Swiss francs ($1.1 billion), said the latest news was clearly positive but it remained to be seen what the overall magnitude of the benefit was in the study.
In a brief statement on Friday, Roche revealed only that patients on T-DM1 lived "significantly longer" without their disease progressing.
Roche has been developing T-DM1 with ImmunoGen as a successor to its blockbuster Herceptin, which is expected to generate sales of around $6 billion this year.
A key advantage of T-DM1 over Herceptin is the fact that it causes fewer adverse side effects like hair loss and low white blood cell counts.
It combines trastuzumab, an antibody and the active ingredient in Herceptin, with the agent DM1 - a derivative of an extremely powerful type of chemotherapy called maytansine - which is carried directly into cells.
As well as having fewer unpleasant side effects, Roche believes its new drug also offers greater convenience, since it is one drug and eliminates the need to administer chemotherapy.
Analyst hopes for T-DM1 have been running high, following earlier good results in Phase II tests, and a filing of the product with regulators this year had been widely expected on the back of data from the so-called EMILIA clinical trial.
Roche said the EMILIA progression-free survival data would be presented at an upcoming medical meeting, adding that final results for overall survival were not yet mature.
Kaemmerer of WestLB believes the full set of results for progression-free survival are likely to be presented at the June 1-5 annual meeting of the American Society of Clinical Oncology, with overall survival results becoming available by 2014.
Commercially, T-DM1 should help protect Roche`s breast cancer franchise, since Herceptin could be exposed to so-called "biosimilar" generic competition in Europe from around 2015.
It also keeps Roche in the breast cancer innovation race in the face of newer medicines that aim to rival Herceptin, like GSK`s Tykerb.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- DNA: Analysis of Hurriyat chief Syed Geelani's passport issue
- DNA: Analysis of traffic system of Vancouver, Canada
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- PM Modi's key campaign team member may join Nitish Kumar
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Woman robbed at gunpoint inside Hyderabad ATM
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 expected to be announced on May 21
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced today at 4 PM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015: JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015 (jharkhandeducation.net) likely to be announced on Thursday May 21 at 1 PM
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results to be announced on May 21 at www.apeamcet.org
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- DHSE (dhsekerala.gov.in) 12th Result 2015: Kerala DHSE Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced on May 21
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be declared on May 21
- 'IAS officer DK Ravi possibly committed suicide, suffered big loss in real estate business'