Roona Begum, the baby with the swollen head undergoes successful reconstructive surgery
Zee Media Bureau/Ritu Singh
Gurgaon: Roona Begum, whose extraordinary case had baffled the entire medical fraternity, underwent another round of reconstructive surgery successfully.
The two-year-old Roona Begum, who is child of a daily wage labourer from Tripura, is suffering from hydrocephalus, a rare disorder that has caused her head to swell to an unprecedented 94 cm. She had already went through a sequence of complex, life-saving surgeries which saw doctors drain fluid from her head and dramatically reduce the size of her skull.
This latest four-hour long surgery was intended to remodel her head, which was disfigured after draining fluid in an earlier life-saving operation and the doctors expect her head to shrink more after this operation. This was a Cranial Vault Remodelling operation and after this operation, it is expected that her head would get a more spherical appearance .
“Today’s surgery was the biggest one so far in terms of remodelling her head. I think it went pretty well,” says neurosurgeon Sandeep Vaishya.
Only after ascertaining the results of these operations will it be possible to determine whether she will have to undergo more such operations in the future. As of now, doctors will keep her in hospital for observation.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Shahid Kapoor-Mira Rajput wedding: Check out their first picture as a couple!
- Shahid Kapoor marriage: 500 guests have been invited for the wedding, says card designer
- Vyapam scam: After over 45 deaths, can Shivraj Singh Chouhan resist CBI probe?
- Vyapam scam: Congress accuses MP CM of 'misleading' people, demands his resignation
- No bomb found on Turkish Airlines flight which made emergency landing in Delhi