Rosemary, oregano can fight type-2 diabetes: Study
Zee Media Bureau
New York: If you are suffering from type 2 diabetes then start including rosemary and oregano in your diet. Research suggests that diet consisting of these two may help you to control blood sugar levels naturally.
Rosemary and oregano contain diabetes-fighting compound and they could be prescribed as anti-diabetic medication as shown by findings.
Elvira Gonzalez de Mejia, a professor at University of Illinois in the US says that how the herbs are grown makes a difference.
Researchers tested four different herbs for the study, either greenhouse-grown or dried commercial versions, for their ability to interfere with a diabetes-related enzyme, which is also a target of a prescription drug for the disease.
During the study, they found that greenhouse herbs contained more polyphenols and flavonoids compared to the equivalent commercial herbs.
But this did not affect the concentration required to inhibit the enzyme.
Commercial extracts of Greek oregano, Mexican oregano and rosemary were better inhibitors of the enzyme, required to reduce risk of type-2 diabetes, than greenhouse-grown herbs.
The study appeared in the Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry, a publication of American Chemical Society.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Essel Group launches 'Asha 2022' affordable housing scheme
- Panel discussion on clashes at JNU over Afzal Guru row
- Soldier buried under avalanche found alive at Siachen glacier
- Panel discussion on detention of goat for grazing in bureaucrat's garden
- JNU students call terrorist Afzal Guru a martyr amid anti-nationalist slogans
- Drunk girl creates ruckus in Delhi's Connaught Place; arrested - Watch
- JNU erupts over 'Shaheed Afzal Guru', 'Azad Kashmir'; rival student groups clash, police deployed
- WATCH: 'Sting videos of Kejriwal govt's minister Imran Hussain's staffer demanding bribe of Rs 25 lakh for his boss'
- AAP poster showing Arvind Kejriwal with Bhindranwale sparks row in Punjab
- Video of Hanumanthappa's rescue that went viral on social media is fake - Watch