Safer, more effective vaccine delivery designed
Washington: Researchers have designed a new type of vaccine delivery that holds promise for improving the effectiveness of DNA vaccines, besides being painless.
About 20 years ago, DNA coding for viral proteins was found to induce strong immune responses in rodents, but so far, tests in humans have failed to duplicate that success.
MIT (Massachusetts Institute of Technology) researchers have developed this new vaccine-delivery film with the help of polymer coated vaccines, the journal Nature Materials reports.
This type of vaccine delivery would also eliminate the need to inject vaccines by syringe, said Darrell Irvine, MIT professor of biological engineering and materials science and engineering, according to an MIT statement.
"You just apply the patch for a few minutes, take it off and it leaves behind these thin polymer films embedded in the skin," said Irvine, who co-authored the research with Paula Hammond, professor of engineering.
Peter DeMuth, graduate student in MIT biological engineering led the study.
These polymer films are implanted under the skin using micro-needles that penetrate about half a millimetre into the skin - deep enough to deliver the DNA to immune cells in the epidermis, but not deep enough to cause pain in the nerve endings of the dermis.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Fresh plea in SC against triple talaq system
- Consumers will be compensated for unscheduled power cuts: Delhi CM Kejriwal
- Shocking! Man dies performing stunt in moving train in Mumbai
- China planning to stretch its Nepal rail link to Bihar: Report
- National child helpline number '1098' now launched in 25 languages!
- Civilian shot dead in J&K's Kupwara
- Donald Trump wins Washington state Republican primary
- Sexism row: Rajiv Shukla to take up Chris Gayle's issue with BCCI, RCB management
- Picture blast! 'Housefull3' gang gate-crashed Asin's house at midnight
- Kseeb.kar.nic.in & Karresults.nic.in KSEEB 2nd II PUC Results 2016: Karnataka Board 12th XII Class, Second II PUC Exam Results 2016 to be announced today on May 25, 2016 at 4 PM