`Salty six` foods to watch out for revealed
Washington: The American Heart Association has revealed six common foods that are major sources of salt in our diets, including bread, cured meats, Pizza and Sandwiches.
Surprisingly the “salty six” doesn’t include snack foods like chips, the association said.
“Excess sodium in our diets has less to do with what we’re adding to our food and more to do with what’s already in the food,” CBS News quoted Dr. Linda Van Horn, a research nutritionist at North-western University who volunteers at the AHA, as saying in a statement.
“The average individual is getting more than double the amount of sodium that they need, but there are ways to improve their sodium intake under their control,” she said.
US dietary guidelines advises people to take no more than 2,300 milligrams of sodium each day, while AHA urges an even lower amount, 1,500 milligrams.
However, a recent survey from the association found that most Americans average about 3,400 milligrams each day, mostly from processed and restaurant foods.
That could potentially raise blood pressure, thus increasing risk for stroke and heart disease, the Centres for Disease Control and Prevention said.
The “salty six” foods are:
1. Bread and rolls - One piece of bread can have as much as 230 mg of sodium that adds up quickly if bread consumed at every meal.
2. Old cuts and cured meats - Cured meats have lot of sodium, and a serving of deli or pre-packaged turkey can have as much as 1,050 mg of sodium.
3. Pizza - One slice can have up to 760 mg of sodium.
4. Poultry - Frozen breaded chicken nuggets contain about 600 mg of salt, while even packaged raw chicken often contains added sodium.
5. Soup - A bowl of soup warms contains around 940 mg of sodium.
6. Sandwiches –Combining breads with cured meats and cheeses ups the sodium level in a sandwich, especially if salt-heavy condiments like mustard and ketchup are added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I am still single, says Hrithik Roshan
- Bharat bandh: Nation braces for country-wide strike on Wednesday
- Exclusive: I am father of Sheena, Mikhail, but never married Indrani Mukerjea, says Siddharth Das
- Former Pakistani spinner Arshad Khan now a taxi driver in Sydney!
- SC intervenes into Khap panchayat's rape order of two UP sisters, seeks report from Akhilesh govt