SARS-like virus kill first victim in UK
London: A mysterious SARS-like respiratory illness has claimed the first victim in Britain, raising the toll to six worldwide from the disease.
The patient, who was being treated at Queen Elizabeth Hospital in Birmingham, died on Sunday after becoming infected with the novel coronavirus, the hospital confirmed today.
Of the 12 persons known to have been infected with the virus around the world, six have died.
The threat to the general population is believed to be small, although the virus has shown signs of spreading from people-to-people.
The three members of the same family have been infected with the virus in UK as well as another patient who was flown in from Qatar for treatment.
One family member may have picked up the virus while travelling to the Middle East and Pakistan and then the virus spread within the family.
The hospital said it is working with the UK’s Health Protection Agency (HPA) to test other people who may have come into contact with the virus.
"The patient was already an outpatient at Queen Elizabeth Hospital Birmingham, undergoing treatment for a long-term, complex unrelated health condition.
The patient was immuno-compromised and is believed to have contracted the virus from a relative who is being treated for the condition in a Manchester hospital," the hospital said in a statement.
The infection causes pneumonia and sometimes kidney failure.
"In this case a family member who was in close personal contact with the patient and who may have been at greater risk of acquiring an infection because of their underlying health condition," said Professor John Watson, head of the HPA`s respiratory diseases department.
"To date, evidence of person-to-person transmission has been limited. Although this case provides strong evidence for person to person transmission, the risk of infection in most circumstances is still considered to be very low," Watson said.
The exact source of the new virus and how it spreads is still unknown but an over-riding theory is that it comes from animals.
The coronavirus (NCov) belongs to the same family as the coronavirus SARS, which surfaced in China over a decade ago and infected 8,000 people worldwide, killing around one in 10 of them.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow