Saturated fat in food can spur Alzheimer`s
London: Certain foods high in saturated fat can increase the likelihood of developing Alzheimer`s disease, says a new study.
"Before now, there has been no dietary driven approach to the prevention and treatment of Alzheimer`s disease," said John Mamo, professor of metabolic fitness at Curtin University.
"Our study found that some dietary fats damaged the blood-brain-barrier, an important membrane that regulates what is normally allowed in and out of the brain like important nutrients."
Alzheimer`s was characterised by the presence of a protein in the brain called amyloid which caused inflammation and cell death, said Mamo.
"Stopping amyloid deposits from forming is the key to slowing or preventing Alzheimer`s disease," he said.
Mamo`s Curtin research team found that saturated fats like those found in poor quality processed meats caused an increase in amyloid delivery from the blood to the brain resulting in a "brain overload" of amyloid, according to Curtin release.
The study is slated for publication by the British Journal of Nutrition.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi police arrests BSF personnel, ISI operative for espionage
- Kerala's Sunni religious leader calls gender equality ‘un-Islamic’
- Maharashtra: Shani Shignapur temple purifies after woman offers oil
- Panel discussion on P Chidambaram's remarks over ban on 'The Satanic Verses'
- What is the motive behind 'unconditional talks' offer by Pakistan?
- Video: India won't tolerate disrespect to national anthem – this Mumbai family learnt it the hard way
- Had Sardar Patel become PM, India would have been another Pakistan, says Kancha Ilaiah
- Watch: Boy dies after falling from a Mumbai local train – video maker is guilty too!
- Shocking! World Cup winning cricketer forced to sell 'kachoris' to make a living
- Pakistan's ISI spy ring busted in India, BSF jawan among 2 held in Jammu, 3 agents apprehended in Kolkata