Scientists develop `rear-view mirror` to spot bowel cancer
London: Scientists have developed a new device that works like a `rear-view mirror` for doctors during bowel examinations, helping to detect 25 per cent more cancer cells on average.
The Third Eye Retroscope provides an additional video camera which gives a rear-facing view to reveal the areas behind folds that are hidden from the front-facing view of the colonoscope.
The device developed by US scientists is used along with a standard colonoscope to improve detection, the `Daily Mail` reported.
The device is contained on a J-shaped attachment fixed to the tip of the colonoscope. Studies show having that extra view significantly improves detection rates ? especially among patients at high risk of bowel cancer.
An international study of 395 patients revealed the Third Eye colonoscopy identifies 40 per cent more adenomas in people at high risk of bowel cancer, and 23 per cent more in the general population.
No large adenomas were missed using the new device. For patients, the experience is exactly the same as a traditional colonoscopy.
To look for the early warning signs of bowel cancer, thousands of patients a year undergo a colonoscopy.
This 30-minute out-patient procedure, often carried out under sedation, involves a colonoscope ? a thin, bendy tube with a video camera and light on the end of it ? being inserted into the bowel.
As the device is withdrawn from the body, the camera relays video images of the inside of the bowel back to the doctor to check for abnormal growths, called adenomatous polyps or adenomas ? these can then be removed before they become cancerous.
Earlier research showed that removing adenomas reduces deaths from bowel cancer by 53 per cent, the report said.
However, a number of studies have shown that traditional colonoscopies miss between 21 and 24 per cent of adenomas, and 12 per cent of large adenomas 1cm or more in size which are at greatest risk of becoming cancerous.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- Delhi: Car catches fire after crash, one dead
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- WBBSE 10th Madhyamik Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015 to be announced on May 22
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Brilliant execution, superb performance!
- Don't know what will happen to my career, says Ranbir Kapoor
- Manohar Parrikar meets troops at Siachen base camp
- Wbbse.org 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th, WB MP Results 2015 to be announced today shortly
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- West Bengal Board (wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha (MP) Results 2015 to be announced today at 10 AM
- After land bill, net neutrality, Rahul Gandhi to fight for ex-servicemen now
- RBSE 12th Results 2015 (rajeduboard.nic.in & rajresults.nic.in): Rajasthan Board BSER Ajmer Senior Secondary Class 12th XII Intermediate Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared today on May 22