Scientists grow human brain stem cells in rats
London: Scientists in the US have made a major breakthrough that has the potential for people with brain damage, caused by epilepsy or Parkinson`s for example, to use their own brain stem cells as a treatment.
Steven Roper of the University of Florida discovered that stem cells from the human brain that were transplanted into the brains of newborn rats matured and were able to function just like native rat cells.
The researchers found that the adult stem cells had the ability to turn into all types of brain tissue in the rats, including the neocortex, which deals with higher processing, and the hippocampus, involved in memory and spatial awareness.
"We`re showing the most dramatic integration of human adult neurons into rat brains," said Steven Roper who carried out the work with Dennis Steindler.
Using a tissue extracted from a teenage girl`s brain, Roper and his colleague multiplied the cells in the lab. They then genetically engineered them so that the cells glow green under ultraviolet light.
Next, these cells were injected into the brains of newborn rats. After three, the researchers found green cells throughout.
"The cells matured into neurons appropriate for each part of the brain they reached," New Scientist quoted Roper as saying.
It was also found that the cells were functioning properly and were able to signal to rat neurons.
The work will be presented at the meeting of the American Epilepsy Society in Texas.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Prashant Bhushan questions Arvind Kejriwal on Lokpal through press conference
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Delhi police arrests BSF personnel, ISI operative for espionage
- Exclusive: Prakash Javadekar's views on issue of climate change before UN summit
- Kerala's Sunni religious leader calls gender equality ‘un-Islamic’
- Women fit only to deliver children, gender equality un-islamic: Kerala Muslim leader
- Russia strikes down Goa, India from its safe travel destinations list
- Intolerance issue: Aamir Khan's remarks 'innocent', says Rajkumar Hirani
- Arvind Kejriwal backs Tarun Gogoi's claim over Guv favouring BJP, suspects 'coop federalism'
- PM Modi leaves for Paris to take part in Climate Conference