Scientists identify ‘Facebook neurons’ in brain
Washington: Scientists have discovered that the brain’s neocortex contains a complex network of highly active neurons called ‘Facebook’ neurons.
These networks have a small population of highly active members who give and receive more information than the majority of other members.
Alison Barth, associate professor of biological sciences at Carnegie Mellon and a member of the Center for the Neural Basis of Cognition (CNBC) believes that the find could shed light on the neocortex, which is thought to be the brain``s center of higher learning.
A mouse model links green fluorescent protein (GFP) with the activity-dependent gene fos, causing the neuron to light up when it is activated.
The researchers took recordings from both fos-labeled and unlabeled neurons and found that the most active neurons were expressing the fos gene.
After isolating the active neurons, the researchers begin to understand the mechanisms underlying the increased activity.
Barth and colleagues were able to see that the fos-expressing neurons weren’t more active because they were intrinsically more excitable; in fact, the neurons seemed to be calmer or more suppressed than their neighboring, inactive neurons.
Barth concluded the similarity to a social network. There is a small, but significant, population of neurons that are more connected than other neurons.
"It’s like Facebook. Most of your friends don’t post much - if at all. But, there is a small percentage of your friends on Facebook who update their status and page often. Those people are more likely to be connected to more friends, so while they’re sharing more information, they’re also receiving more information from their expanded network, which includes other more active participants," Barth said.
The Carnegie Mellon researchers plan to study these neurons to see if these neurons play a role in learning.
The study has been published in the journal Neuron.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- SC allows Italian marine Salvatore Girone to return home
- Bihar: Former Bihar CM Jitan Manjhi's convoy attacked in Gaya
- Punjab and Haryana HC stays reservation for Jats, 5 other communities
- Will continue to be your 'pradhan sevak', says PM Modi in UP rally
- Will continue to be your 'pradhan sevak', says PM Modi in UP rally - Part II
- Indian Premier League 2016, Qualifier 2: Gujarat Lions vs Sunrisers Hyderabad — Preview
- Beware, workaholics: Excessive working may elevate depression, anxiety
- Sidharth, Alia perfect for 'Aashiqui 3': Mukesh Bhatt
- Domestic black money window will ensure peace of mind: IT dept
- HTC 10 smartphone launched in India at Rs 52,990