Scientists identify gene crucial for brain development
Zee Media Bureau/Philaso G Kaping
Washington: Neuroscientists have found the "off switch" that plays a crucial role in nerve cell formation, according to a new study.
Researchers led by Dr Julian Heng of the Australian Regenerative Medicine Institute (ARMI) at Monash University identified a gene, RP58, which switches off Rnd2 expression to control the proper positioning of neurons within the foetal brain, according to a press statement.
This transcription factor is crucial for normal development as its absence can lead to reduced brain growth and intellectual disability.
“Together with a collaborative study we published with our colleagues earlier in the year, this research demonstrates that loss of RP58 impairs the development of new nerve cells in the embryonic mouse brain, including their path-finding,” Dr Heng said.
“Since the early steps of nerve cell production during brain development are comparable between mice and humans, we believe that RP58 carries out similar functions in the foetal human brain as well. This strengthens the notion that disruptions to this gene can cause brain developmental disease.”
The researchers believe this study could lead to a possibility of regenerative medicine.
"In the future, we will use this knowledge to develop novel cell-based therapies to treat neurodegenerative disorders and brain injury,” Dr Heng said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- BJP MP Yogi Adityanath compares Akhilesh Yadav with 'Aurangzeb' and 'Kans'
- Acrimonious remarks of political leaders during UP elections
- UP polls: When fans played spoilsport for SP star campaigner Dimple Yadav
- Have political parties diverted from development agenda in UP elections?
- Pakistan cancels licenses of weapons issued to Hafiz Saeed and his aides
- Reliance Jio's tariff plan from April 1; voice calls, roaming to be free: Mukesh Ambani
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- How Kashmiris use children for 'meri jaan Pakistan' type 'freedom struggle' - WATCH
- Reliance Jio Prime Membership at Rs 99: All you need to know about the plan
- 'Intolerance brigade' attacks Zee News' #FatehKaFatwa host Tarek Fateh - WATCH