Scientists make breakthrough; developing "artificial pancreas"
London: British scientists claim to have made a significant breakthrough towards developing a so-called "artificial pancreas" system for managing Type 1 Diabetes in children.
A team at Cambridge University has developed and even
tested a new algorithm, providing a "stepping stone" to home
testing for the artificial pancreas, British medical journal
`The Lancet` reported.
Their study shows that using an artificial
pancreas system overnight can significantly reduce the risk of
hypoglycemia, when blood glucose levels drop dangerously low,
while sleeping. These so-called "hypos" are major concern for
children and adults with type 1 diabetes.
As well as obviating the need for multiple daily
finger prick tests and insulin injections, the artificial
pancreas should offer better control of blood glucose levels
overnight, say the scientists.
In their study, 17 children and teenagers aged between
5 and 18 with type 1 diabetes were studied during 54 nights in
hospital. The team measured how well the artificial pancreas
system controlled glucose levels compared with the children`s
regular continuous subcutaneous insulin infusion (CSII) pump,
which delivers insulin at pre-selected rates.
The study included nights when the children went to
bed after eating a large evening meal or having done early
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Vyapam Scam: IMA president Sudhir Tiwari fears life threat
- Vyapam Scam: Mystery over journalist Akshay Singh's death continues
- Panel discussion on RSS's 'Muslim Rashtriya Manch' first Iftaar party
- MPs spend more than Rs 25 cr taxpayers' money on study tours: DNA reports
- Jhansi police launches ‘Citizen Cop’ android app
- Vyapam scam: MP medical college dean found dead in hotel, body sent for post-mortem
- Vyapam scam: Last rites of journalist Akshay Singh performed; MP CM assures of SIT probe
- Photographer captures International Space Station flying across moon
- PM Narendra Modi holds talks with Uzbek leader
- Akshay Singh's death case: MP CM assures fair probe, lambasts Oppn over Vyapam scam