Scientists pinpoint brain receptor linked with rage
Washington: Scientists have identified a brain receptor, an enzyme monoamine oxidase A, whose malfunctioning can trigger sudden violence, explosive outbursts and hostile overreaction to stress in mice.
By blocking the receptor, which also exists in humans, scientists stripped the mice of their extreme aggressiveness, potentially paving the way to new treatment for severely aggressive behaviour.
The findings by researchers from the University of Southern California (USC) and Italy are a significant breakthrough in developing drug targets for pathological aggression, a component in many common psychological disorders, including Alzheimer`s disease, autism, bipolar disorder and schizophrenia, the Journal of Neuroscience reports.
"From a clinical and social point of view, reactive aggression is absolutely a major problem," said Marco Bortolato, research assistant professor of pharmacology and pharmaceutical sciences at the USC School of Pharmacy, who led the study. "We want to find the tools that might reduce impulsive violence," said Bortolato, according to an USC statement.
A large body of independent research, including past work by Bortolato and his colleague and senior study author Jean Shih, has identified low levels of the enzyme monoamine oxidase A (MAO A). Both male humans and mice with congenital deficiency of the enzyme respond violently in response to stress.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - Huge fire breaks out at petrol pump in Kota, Rajasthan
- Bihar: Congress leader Brajesh Pandey accused of running sex racket
- BJP MP Yogi Adityanath compares Akhilesh Yadav with 'Aurangzeb' and 'Kans'
- Acrimonious remarks of political leaders during UP elections
- Have political parties diverted from development agenda in UP elections?
- Reliance Jio's tariff plan from April 1; voice calls, roaming to be free: Mukesh Ambani
- Virat Kohli thanks sprint legend Usain Bolt for congratulating him on 'record' Puma deal
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- IPL 2017 Auction: Reaction-filled Twitter erupts with emotions!
- Reliance Jio Prime Membership at Rs 99: All you need to know about the plan