Scientists pinpoint top eight cancer signs
London: Are you coughing up blood or having
difficulty while swallowing? Go for a medical check-up, as
scientists say they could be among the eight symptoms most
closely linked to cancer.
Researchers at the Keele University in UK also suggested
the age at which patients should be most concerned by the
symptoms, which include blood in urine and anaemia.
The other symptoms they highlighted included rectal blood,
coughing up blood, breast lump or mass, difficulty swallowing,
post-menopause bleeding and abnormal prostate tests, the BBC
The scientists, who examined 25 previous studies for their
research, found that the symptoms gave a one in 20 or higher
chance of turning out to be cancer.
Although this still represents a relatively low chance of
anyone with the symptom having the disease, they said that any
suspicion of cancer can mean that the patient is sent for
tests more quickly, in order to catch the disease as early as
The scientists also found that if the patient was below
the age of 55, there were only two signs which reached the
`one-in-20` threshold -- a rectal prostate examination which
gave abnormal results and a breast lump.
After 55, but only in men, there was evidence that
difficulty swallowing could be a sign of oesophageal cancer,
while blood in the urine was highlighted as a particular
concern for men and women aged over 60.
Dr Mark Shapley, who led the research, said: "GPs (general
practitioners or doctors) should audit their management and
reflect upon these cases as part of their appraisal to improve
quality of care.
"There should be more open public debate on the level
of risk that triggers a recommendation for referral by a GP."
Professor Amanda Howe of the Royal College of General
Practitioners, said: "It`s useful to see these well-known `red
flag` symptoms and signs validated in primary care research,
and reinforces the importance of encouraging patients to
discuss worrying symptoms early with their GP."
However, a spokesman for Cancer Research UK said these
were by no means the only potential warning signs for cancer.
"The particular symptoms this study has highlighted
are already thought of as important potential signs of cancer,
but there are more than 200 different types of cancer, which
cause many different symptoms.
"So if you notice an unusual or persistent change in
your body it`s important to get it checked out. When cancer is
diagnosed at an early stage, treatment is often more likely to
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- Death toll climbs to over 1400 as intense heatwave continues in India