Scientists pinpoint top eight cancer signs
London: Are you coughing up blood or having
difficulty while swallowing? Go for a medical check-up, as
scientists say they could be among the eight symptoms most
closely linked to cancer.
Researchers at the Keele University in UK also suggested
the age at which patients should be most concerned by the
symptoms, which include blood in urine and anaemia.
The other symptoms they highlighted included rectal blood,
coughing up blood, breast lump or mass, difficulty swallowing,
post-menopause bleeding and abnormal prostate tests, the BBC
The scientists, who examined 25 previous studies for their
research, found that the symptoms gave a one in 20 or higher
chance of turning out to be cancer.
Although this still represents a relatively low chance of
anyone with the symptom having the disease, they said that any
suspicion of cancer can mean that the patient is sent for
tests more quickly, in order to catch the disease as early as
The scientists also found that if the patient was below
the age of 55, there were only two signs which reached the
`one-in-20` threshold -- a rectal prostate examination which
gave abnormal results and a breast lump.
After 55, but only in men, there was evidence that
difficulty swallowing could be a sign of oesophageal cancer,
while blood in the urine was highlighted as a particular
concern for men and women aged over 60.
Dr Mark Shapley, who led the research, said: "GPs (general
practitioners or doctors) should audit their management and
reflect upon these cases as part of their appraisal to improve
quality of care.
"There should be more open public debate on the level
of risk that triggers a recommendation for referral by a GP."
Professor Amanda Howe of the Royal College of General
Practitioners, said: "It`s useful to see these well-known `red
flag` symptoms and signs validated in primary care research,
and reinforces the importance of encouraging patients to
discuss worrying symptoms early with their GP."
However, a spokesman for Cancer Research UK said these
were by no means the only potential warning signs for cancer.
"The particular symptoms this study has highlighted
are already thought of as important potential signs of cancer,
but there are more than 200 different types of cancer, which
cause many different symptoms.
"So if you notice an unusual or persistent change in
your body it`s important to get it checked out. When cancer is
diagnosed at an early stage, treatment is often more likely to
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Does govt want to hike rail ticket in the name of subsidy?
- Does govt want to hike rail ticket in the name of subsidy? Part II
- Does govt want to hike rail ticket in the name of subsidy? Part III
- Does govt want to hike rail ticket in the name of subsidy? Part IV
- Panel discussion over India's bid for NSG
- Who said what on Anil Kumble's appointment as Team India's head coach
- 78 dead, 200 badly hurt in extreme weather in eastern China
- Watch this interesting movie-like trailer for NASA's Juno mission!
- Subramanian Swamy at it again! Attacks Economic Affairs Secy Shaktikanta Das; Arun Jaitley calls it unfair
- Pakistan-North Korea nuclear trade being tracked by Indian intelligence agencies: Report