Scientists regenerate bones using gene therapy
London: Scientists claimed to have developed a new method which can mimic real bone tissue and regenerate bones using gene therapy.
Researchers from the Royal College of Surgeons in Ireland (RCSI) have developed a method of repairing bone using synthetic bone graft substitute material, which combined with gene therapy, can mimic real bone tissue and can regenerate bone in patients who have lost large areas of bone from either disease or trauma.
The researchers have developed an innovative scaffold material made from collagen and nano-sized particles of hydroxyapatite which acts as a platform to attract the body`s own cells and repair bone in the damaged area using gene therapy.
The cells are tricked into overproducing bone producing proteins known as BMPs, encouraging regrowth of healthy bone tissue. The method has potential to be applied to regenerate tissues in other parts of the body.
"Previously, synthetic bone grafts had proven successful in promoting new bone growth by infusing the scaffold material with bone producing proteins," Professor Fergal O` Brien, Principal Investigator on the project said in a statement.
"These proteins are already clinically approved for bone repair in humans but concerns exist that the high doses of protein required in clinical treatments may potentially have negative side effects for the patient such as increasing the risk of cancer. Other existing gene therapies use viral methods which also carry risks," O`Brien added.
"By stimulating the body to produce the bone-producing protein itself, using non-viral methods these negative side effects can be avoided and bone tissue growth is promoted efficiently and safely," O`Brien said.
The study was published in the journal Advanced Materials.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Is Corporate Social Responsibility nothing but a marketing gimmick?
- Journalist covering Vyapam scam dies in Madhya Pradesh
- Vyapam Scam: IMA president Sudhir Tiwari fears life threat
- Vyapam Scam: Mystery over journalist Akshay Singh's death continues
- The inside story of IC-814 hijacking
- Vyapam scam: MP medical college dean found dead in hotel, body sent for post-mortem
- Vyapam scam: Last rites of journalist Akshay Singh performed; MP CM assures of SIT probe
- Photographer captures International Space Station flying across moon
- Akshay Singh's death case: MP CM assures fair probe, lambasts Oppn over Vyapam scam
- Chile stun Argentina to win first Copa America crown