Doha: A 43-year-old man in Qatar has tested positive for Middle East Respiratory Syndrome (MERS) in the second confirmed case of the deadly virus in 10 days, media reported Thursday.
The patient had fever for a few days and was shifted to the emergency department of the Hamad General Hospital, the Supreme Council of Health (SCH) said Wednesday, The Peninsula reported.
He was diagnosed with pneumonia and subsequently confirmed MERS-COV case.
Last week, the SCH reported the first MERS case of this year, when a 71-year-old person was found infected with the virus.
The total number of confirmed cases in Qatar until now has reached 11, of which five victims -- three Qataris and two expatriates died. Doctors said Wednesday that the condition of the first patient has improved.
"He is still under the standardized infection prevention and control measures. All those who came into contact with him have tested negative for MERS and none of them have developed any similar symptoms," said an SCH statement.
All contacts of the new patient would be monitored for two weeks, the statement added.
SCH has urged healthcare providers to keep vigil and report any suspected case.