Sex hormone therapy can reverse ageing process
London: A new study has supported the testosterone treatment that is being used by pop star Robbie Williams.
According to the study, the testosterone treatment can really help reverse the ageing process in men.
The chart-topping singer, 37, had admitted injecting himself with the sex hormone twice a week in a bid to boost his sex drive and slow down the march of time.
Loss of muscle tissue, which is a typical symptom of ageing and is also associated with diseases such as aids and cancer, can be treated using anabolic steroids but these can have unwanted side-effects, making testosterone replacement a healthy alternative.
The new research shows that nine proteins in the blood alter with age.
However, the profile of some of these proteins can be reversed by testosterone treatment, and prevent the loss of muscle mass.
Researchers from Boston University School of Medicine and University of Texas Medical Branch in the United States compared protein levels in serum samples from two groups of healthy men.
“It seems that testosterone replacement does not necessarily mean a restoration of full testosterone functionality for the older man,” quoted the researchers as saying.
Testosterone treatment increased lean muscle mass and levels of the appetite suppressing hormone leptin, for both groups of men.
The hormone also increased levels of pro-collagen and growth protein IGF-1 in young men and the researchers saw a similar increase in a small group of older men.
Dr.Monty Montano said: “The blood proteins we found that altered with healthy ageing also have links to maintenance of muscle, such as IGF-1 and pro-collagen, or are involved in regulation of the immune system, possibly reducing T-cell and neutrophil responses with age.
“Additionally all of the proteins we found are involved with the signalling pathways controlled by proteins which are known to be associated with ageing.
“It is no simple matter to find a one size fits all test for ageing. Our results suggest that there is a difference in response to anabolic steroids between young and older men, despite both groups increasing in muscle mass,” added Montano.
The study has been published in BioMed Central’s open access journal Immunity and Ageing.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- Anurag Kashyap to bid goodbye to India, settle in 'cinema-friendly' France!
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2, Chennai Super Kings vs Royal Challengers Bangalore: Preview
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- Tamil Nadu SSLC Results 2015 on tnresults.nic.in
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) TNBSE Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 declared