Sex, smoking among US teenagers on decline: Survey
Washington: Here's good news for American parents. A youth survey by the Centres for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) has found that lesser numbers of high school students are reporting sexual intercourse, smoking or fighting episodes compared to earlier findings.
According to the Youth Risk Behaviour Survey (YRBS) in 2013, 46.8 percent of teenagers in grades nine to 12 have had sexual intercourse - unchanged since 2001.
In the 1990s, the same survey found 54 percent teenagers were involved in sexual intercourse.
Cigarette smoking among high school students has dropped to 15.7 percent, the lowest in 22 years.
Nearly 25 percent of students said they have been involved in a physical fight in the past year - down from 42 percent reported in 1991, the findings revealed.
"The youth survey is an important tool for understanding how health risk behaviours among youth vary across the nation and over time," said Laura Kann, chief of CDC's school-based surveillance branch.
Students in grades nine-12 were questioned about alcohol, tobacco and illegal drug usage, sexual activity, violence, dietary and exercise behaviours and suicide-related behaviours.
However, obesity and overweight remained a problem. About a third to 47 percent of teenagers are struggling with their weight, the survey found.
"It is encouraging that high school students are making better health choices such as not fighting, not smoking and not having sex," said Thomas Frieden, director of CDC.
The findings were published in the Morbidity and Mortality Weekly Report (MMWR).
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Street food in Delhi contains high levels of faecal matter
- Watch: ISIS prisoner digging his own grave
- 50 percent refund on Tatkal ticket cancellation
- Priyanka, Ranveer talk about their film 'Dil Dhadakne Do'
- Erstwhile Mysuru kingdom gets new king
- UP: Govt to distribute free sanitary napkins to all girls in school
- Former Bihar CM Jitan Ram Manjhi meets PM Modi
- Delhi HC turns down plea challenging LG Jung's authority
- DNA: Pentagon report says Beijing accelerates land reclamation in South China Sea
- IIT Madras bans Dalit students forum for 'criticising' PM Modi
- Radioactive nuclear medicine leak detected at Delhi's IGI Airport
- DNA: Blow to Kejriwal, Delhi High Court backs LG
- IIT Madras row: Smriti Irani hits back, challenges Rahul Gandhi to a debate
- DNA: World soccer rocked by Swiss arrests of FIFA officials for graft
- DNA: Exploitation of migrant workers in Qatar
- Delhi HC backs LG, turns down plea challenging Jung's authority
- WB Class 12 (HS) Result 2015 declared on wbresults.nic.in, wbchse.nic.in
- No radioactive leak at IGI airport, say AERB and Delhi govt
- WBCHSE (wbchse.nic.in & wbresults.nic.in): West Bengal Class 12th Result to be declared on May 29
- Log on to wbresults.nic.in, wbchse.nic.in for WB Class 12 (HS) Result 2015 WBCHSE
- WBCHSE (wbchse.nic.in & wbresults.nic.in): West Bengal Class 12th Result 2015 to be announced shortly
- Twitter war over IIT Madras row: Smriti Irani challenges Rahul Gandhi to debate over any issue, anywhere
- Dangerous levels of toxins in Delhi's air as heat and dust intensify
- Check out: Salman Khan goes across the border in 'Bajrangi Bhaijaan' teaser
- Bihar board 12th Arts result to be declared today soon
- BSEB (biharboard.ac.in & biharboard.bih.nic.in): Bihar board 12th Arts result to be declared tomorrow on May 30
- Top 5 places to eat in Delhi University's campuses
- Baal nahi ball ko dekho: Sachin Tendulkar's tip to tackle Lasith Malinga
- Waiting for Jaypee to come back to me on Indian GP's return in 2016: Bernie Ecclestone
- WBCHSE (wbchse.nic.in & wbresults.nic.in): West Bengal Class 12th Result to be announced today at 10:30 AM