Sheila Dikshit bats for awareness of TB
New Delhi: An awareness campaign on tuberculosis, similar to polio, is necessary to curb the easily preventable disease, Delhi Chief Minister Sheila Dikshit said Wednesday.
Speaking at the launch of National Forum on Tuberculosis, Dikshit said: "Awareness campaign on tuberculosis is necessary; it should be similar to anti-polio campaign. Polio, which was a great menace and had left many handicapped for life once, has been easily eradicated by our constant campaign."
The National Forum on Tuberculosis (TB) will bring together parliamentarians, policy makers and civil society representatives to discuss the challenges for TB prevention and control.
A handbook on TB in India, which provides a comprehensive overview of the challenges around TB control in India and the role of policy-makers, was released.
"The campaign should involve lakhs of school children; they would take the message to their parents and teachers. The handbook which provides information on TB should be distributed to them," Dikshit said.
The forum will not only raise awareness on the need for improved TB control but its members will formulate key recommendations to address these challenges which will be presented to the ministry of health and family welfare (MoHFW) for further action.
"The forum will serve as a platform to bring together various stakeholders to highlight and address the complex challenges facing TB in India, a disease that is easily preventable and treatable," Dalbir Singh, convener of the forum said.
Tuberculosis kills one Indian every two minutes. India bears the highest burden of tuberculosis in the world, with two million suffering from this disease annually.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Rajinikanth's 'Kabali' releases early morning at 6 am in Mumbai!
- Jharkhand: Zee Media honors ten environmentalists with Green Warrior Award
- DNA: Why nationalist reporting trigger protest in Gurez valley?
- DNA: Why nationalist reporting trigger protest in Gurez valley? - Part II
- DNA: Why nationalist reporting trigger protest in Gurez valley? - Part III
- Gujarat Dalit protest: After Rahul, Kejriwal to visit violence-hit Una today
- PM Narendra Modi to lay foundation stone of AIIMS in Gorakhpur today
- Rajya Sabha to vote on bill seeking 'special status' for Andhra Pradesh today
- 'Bunty Chor' - Delhi's high-end car thief arrested; BMW, Toyota Fortuner recovered
- Mayawati slur: Dayashankar Singh may surrender today; wife alleges harassment by BSP goons